How to disable optical drive

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
netnut

How to disable optical drive

Post by netnut »

Hello

I have a fresh install of LXDE on my old laptop and for the last couple of days it can't boot up.

Pulling out the optical drive seems to have solved the issue save the spoilt aesthetics. Now being a linux newbie I am still feeling my way around the new environ I dont know how to prevent LXDE from trying to poll the optical drive.

Could you folks help me out please?

Thanks in advance!
Rex Bouwense

Re: How to disable optical drive

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Check your BIOS. After you start your computer press F2 or what ever key is required on your computer to enter setup. Once there navigate to boot and then insure that your hard drive is ahead of the optical drive. Save the change and exit to boot.
By the way welcome to the LXDE forum.
Rex
netnut

Post by netnut »

Thank you for the reply Rex.

Just cross checked, the HDD is ahead of the optical drive in the bios settings. Looking around on the internet I found a post and have included this line in the linux boot parameters:

Code: Select all

libata.force=1.00:disable
That also hasn't solved the problem. What else can I try doing doing... ?
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

You might also try going back into the bios boot sequence and just not list the optical drive as an option, just the hdd.

I've got an off-line XP that has a 3.5 floppy drive. There was a time when the 3.5 was a viable boot option, but since I'll never use it for booting, I don't have it listed in the boot options, and it still works even though it isn't listed as a boot option.

The only other thing I can think of is if you have a way of testing it with another optical drive of the same model that will fit your laptop.