Hotkeys

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
Triloblob

Hotkeys

Post by Triloblob »

Hello, i am using an hp laptop with debian installed and the hotkeys don't seem to work, does anyone know a way to make them work?
rufwoof

Re: Hotkeys

Post by rufwoof »

Mine works fine (Debian Jessie/LXDE).

I've extended mine to open up a Openbox menu by editing ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml to add

Code: Select all

<keybind key="Menu">
         <action name="ShowMenu"><menu>root-menu</menu></action>
    </keybind>
just before the final keyboard section that precedes the mouse section
</keyboard>
<mouse>

IIRC I installed obmenu
apt-get update
apt-get install obmenu
and when that's run you can add/change menu items that are shown when the MENU button (similar position to the WIN key, but on the other side of the large space-bar) is pressed. Note that after making changes to the menu you have to run the Reconfigure option (logging out and back in again might do the same)

For the reboot and shutdown options in that image I simply used systemctl reboot and systemctl poweroff commands

When the menu is showing you can type the first character of the program you want, or repeatedly press that character to step through all of the programs with that character as the first character ... and then press ENTER (ESC kills the menu).

You have to have the MENU, PREFERENCES, DESKTOP PREFERENCES, ADVANCED ... Show Menus Provided By Windows Manager ticked (the menu is also shown if you right click the desktop).

Other hot keys are defined in a similar manner, so maybe your file is corrupted or something like that. Perhaps try running debsums to validate all your installed packages (that will highlight any differences in your installed files compared to those in the Debian repositories).

apt-get debsums

debsums -c

will list any changed files (debsums --help will show help of how to run debsums).
Triloblob

Post by Triloblob »

rufwoof wrote:Mine works fine (Debian Jessie/LXDE).

I've extended mine to open up a Openbox menu by editing ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml to add

Code: Select all

<keybind key="Menu">
         <action name="ShowMenu"><menu>root-menu</menu></action>
    </keybind>
just before the final keyboard section that precedes the mouse section
</keyboard>
<mouse>

IIRC I installed obmenu
apt-get update
apt-get install obmenu
and when that's run you can add/change menu items that are shown when the MENU button (similar position to the WIN key, but on the other side of the large space-bar) is pressed. Note that after making changes to the menu you have to run the Reconfigure option (logging out and back in again might do the same)

For the reboot and shutdown options in that image I simply used systemctl reboot and systemctl poweroff commands

When the menu is showing you can type the first character of the program you want, or repeatedly press that character to step through all of the programs with that character as the first character ... and then press ENTER (ESC kills the menu).

You have to have the MENU, PREFERENCES, DESKTOP PREFERENCES, ADVANCED ... Show Menus Provided By Windows Manager ticked (the menu is also shown if you right click the desktop).

Other hot keys are defined in a similar manner, so maybe your file is corrupted or something like that. Perhaps try running debsums to validate all your installed packages (that will highlight any differences in your installed files compared to those in the Debian repositories).

apt-get debsums

debsums -c

will list any changed files (debsums --help will show help of how to run debsums).
thanks!
rufwoof

Post by rufwoof »

Triloblob wrote:thanks!
Your welcome. Hope it works out for you.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Put new key bindings to your heart's desire in the keybindings section of ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml following the patterns suggested by the keybindings already there. See http://lxlinux.com/openbox.html for additional information.