OS does not initialize after login

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
rdx98

OS does not initialize after login

Post by rdx98 »

When I log in the only thing that comes up after doing this is a gray screen with the mouse cursor. This problem only occurs with my normal user, I mean when I use the "startx" command as root user I can access the desktop normally, although without the customizations I made as normal user (as root, desktop looks exactly the same as when I installed the distro).
I wonder if this problem is occurring due to any changes I made to the LXDE files, in which case I would like to know if there is any way for me to reset those settings of my regular user using my root user.
In short, my problem is: I don't have access to the graphical interface when I log in as a regular user, just as root. Still, I have access to terminal with both users.
drooly

Re: OS does not initialize after login

Post by drooly »

Don't try to start X as root - it can break things so that you cannot login as normal user anymore.
Not sure that's what happened here.
What "changes" did you make to "the LXDE files"? Which files?

Have a look at the Xorg log generated after a failed attempt. To achieve this: recreate the problem, then press Ctrl-Alt-F2 and login as a normal user (i.e. not root), then issue the following command:

Code: Select all

ls -l ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log /var/log/Xorg.0.log
The file whose timestamp correlates to the problem you just reproduced, you need to look at.