Keyboard backlight in LXLE

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
Srqjohnson

Keyboard backlight in LXLE

Post by Srqjohnson »

I am using LXLE 18 64 bit on a Dell Optiplex 790 and can not get keyboard backlighting on automatically.
In Sakura (terminal) xset led 3 works fine.

I have tried adding it in lxsession via autostart, with and without a delay and most of the other Autostart tricks to no avail.

Wrote a little script and tried that in all the recommended scenarios also, just can not seem to trick it into working.
A desktop shortcut works, but then there is that maddening questionaire as to whether run it, run it in terminal, cancel, or trade it for 3 rolls of toilet paper. Arrrggghhh.

I just want the keyboard backlighting to com on at or after boot like any other sane computer operating system does
Thanks.
drooly

Re: Keyboard backlight in LXLE

Post by drooly »

I cannot speak for LXLE (or, the last time I tested it in a VM it failed), but on Debian 10 LXDE autostart goes like this:
  • write yourself a miniscript (let's call it mystart, and let's save it right in your home folder) that does what you want. Usually it’s good to add a little delay beforehand:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
    sleep 5
    xset led 3
  • make it executable:

Code: Select all

chmod +x ~/mystart
  • Open Preferences => Default applications for LXSession => Autostart
  • Enter the name of your script in the small text entry, like this (put your username where it says "user")
  • click on "+ Add" - it should now look like this
Log out/in - does it work?

BTW, this is not a laptop, it's an external keyboard yes?
A better answer probably lies in the keyboard's user manual, or firmware/driver settings.