No audio (Hda intel)

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
tobydl

No audio (Hda intel)

Post by tobydl »

I have a standard ubuntu installation (Gnome) with lxde on top. I do have audio when in a gnome session, but not in lxde.
How do I start resolving this ?
archibald haddock

Re: No audio (Hda intel)

Post by archibald haddock »

The card is not muted? Have a look at alsamixer or alsamixer -c 0
maces

Post by maces »

Hi

Just as archibald haddock described, have a look at alsamixer, if there is an M under a bar press M and you will see a number then your sound should be tuned on. Master and PCM should be most interesting for you, depending on your soundcard ;).

maces
tobydl

Post by tobydl »

Hello,
I opened alsamixer and found indeed the plain obvious... For some reason the Master volume was indeed muted.
To me it seems very strange though that the volume control does indicate that audio is on... Isn't that supposed to indicate master volume anyway. Seems like an area for improvement to me.
Even more strange is that the multimedia buttons on my keyboard have mysteriously come to live too after turning master volume on... What I'm wondering about now is why there is no link between the volume keys and the lxde volume control... both are not kept in sync.
Thanks for the help!
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

There is a difference between the differnt voulume bars. Seems that you volume control is controlling the PCM volume, but your keyboard buttons are changing Master volume. Master was muted so doing anything with it, showed no change.
Are your multimedia buttons configured anyway or are they directly going to hardware?