CPU maxed, Harddrive continual access

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
klein103103

CPU maxed, Harddrive continual access

Post by klein103103 »

I just installed LXDE with Ubuntu minimal 9.04 on my computer and I am having problems with the CPU always being pegged and when initially starting up the harddrive is continually being accessed and doesn't seem to stop for another 30 min. After letting it sit until the harddrive access stops the CPU useage continues to be maxed for while longer. Once the CPU useage drops I move the mouse the cpu spikes back to 100%. Also video is quiet choppy and I am not getting sound (alsamixer gui installed and mute is off). I am wondering what the issues maybe and if there are any apps (besides top) out there that will be able to help me diagnose the issues that I am having or if anyone has had any similar issues or if I might need to do some more upgrading to the system? I am relatively new to linux. My computer specs are:

Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 800 MHz (PIII)
RAM Installed Size 128 MB (12MB used for CPU)
Memory Speed 400 MHz
Storage Hard Drive 40GB IDE (5400rpm) (upgraded from the 32MB ata Flash)
ATI RADEON 7000M 16MB
archibald haddock

Re: CPU maxed, Harddrive continual access

Post by archibald haddock »

The cpu monitor allways makes a high workload on my system, I would disable it and if it still drives you cpu crazy, look with top and lxtask (lxde task manager) what is causing it.
Are you using any cpu governor by the way?