why 192.168.0.104

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
jeditalian

why 192.168.0.104

Post by jeditalian »

out of all the distros i have tried, none have been so hard to configure your IP settings.
with the exception of lubuntu, but even lubuntu had a tool.
i am using lxde live cd, but i cannot figure out how to configure my network settings.
it comes set at 192.168.0.104, i need to change that .0. to .1.
and set my default gateway and DNS.
also there is a user login and i cant figure out what the login/pass are. ive tried debian debian, root root, all sort of things like the other distros use. but i cant login. how am i supposed to connect to the internet?
my router sees the laptop, and calls it 192.168.1.20, but since that laptop doesnt use the right gateway or ip, it cant do anything.
even the most minimalistic distros i have tried have had a netcard config, network settings, etc that let you configure ip. it is hidden in lubuntu but you enable it and logout and its there when it reloads. in some of the distros, it is done entirely in terminal, but there is a program that organizes it for you, so you can be a n00b and still get it done easily.. but this lxde live cd is confusing me because i cant figure out how to do it even through terminal.
i know there has to be some sort of config file somewhere, because the default ip is always set to the same thing.
the only way i would know how to get on the internet with that live cd is to change my router's ip, to 192.168.0.1 which is usually the default gateway on these distros, or 192.168.0.254 if its setup like my router, my router's default is 192.168.1.254, so i need to configure my gateway to that address via the livecd or it is useless