Network Manager Applet

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
faktorqm

Network Manager Applet

Post by faktorqm »

Hi, i have a problem with the network manager applet. I did two install's (one at my job, and another at my house) and I'm having the same problem in both install's. When i click on the icon it shows the "manual configuration..." button, but when i click on it doesn't repond in anyway.
I have edited /etc/network/interfaces by hand, and connection is ok. But if it is a bug, i reporting that....

Distribution: PUD 0.4.8.6
Desktop: LXDE
Where is the log of lxde panel or lxde desktop? exists?
My /var/log:

Code: Select all

faktorqm@the-edge:~$ ls /var/log
acpid	       debug	   faillog	   mail.err	  scrollkeeper.log
apt	       dmesg	   fontconfig.log  mail.info	  syslog
auth.log       dmesg.0	   fsck		   mail.log	  tor
boot	       dmesg.1.gz  gdm		   mail.warn	  udev
bootstrap.log  dmesg.2.gz  installer	   messages	  user.log
btmp	       dmesg.3.gz  kern.log	   news		  wtmp
cups	       dmesg.4.gz  lastlog	   privoxy	  Xorg.0.log
daemon.log     dpkg.log    lpr.log	   pycentral.log  Xorg.0.log.old
faktorqm@the-edge:~$
I can do anything to help? It is a bug of nm-applet package, or lxde?

I finish the translate of the front page of the spanish wiki, but i have no idea of the wiki code on the subcategories page's... ¡to read the documentation! XD
Thank you. Regards.
PCMan

Re: Network Manager Applet

Post by PCMan »

Network manager won't work well if you edited your interfaces file manually.
Try to comment out all the lines in /etc/network/interfaces, and configure your netwrok with connection editor of nm-applet instead.

Anyway, It's not a LXDE bug.
kevinpeter

Post by kevinpeter »

Pain-Free Networking

Networking on Linux can be painful, especially in comparison to other operating systems. You should never need to use the command line or configuration files to manage your network (unless you want to!); everything should "Just Work" as automatically as possible and never stop you from doing what you want to do. NetworkManager attempts to make networking as invisible as you want it to be. Whether at home, work, or on the move, NetworkManager automatically connects to the last network you told it to connect to. From wired to wireless to mobile broadband to Bluetooth, NetworkManager has you covered.
jellybeanmagic

Post by jellybeanmagic »

New to LXDE - loaded last week and it's absolutely brilliant! Turned a slow machine into a zippy mean machine and the file manager is superb.

Using Network Manager as couldn't get WICD to work and have it as an applet in the panel.

Using 3 Mobile in the UK with Huawei E220 usb modem for internet connection, Ubuntu 10.04

Problem: under both Gnome and LXDE experience modem time-out problems.

Connection fine (worked out of the box) but after an hour or sometimes less, it disconnects and the only way to re-start the connection is to physically remove and replace the usb stick. I notice that if I leave the system on-line overnight so it's not being used, it remains connected but then a few minutes after using it online, will disconnect.

I believe there is some 'time-out' or similar in the configuration but can't see anything obvious in the Network Manager edit menus - can anyone help?

Would using WICD or LXNM cut out this problem which is a major irritant that did not experience under XP (since using LXDE will not be going back there though)?

Have looked for this problem in the Ubuntu forums but no solutions are logged.