Lubuntu and WPA2-PSK problems.

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
globetrotterdk

Lubuntu and WPA2-PSK problems.

Post by globetrotterdk »

I just switched routers to a D-Link DI-524UP and now my laptops can't sort out the wireless connections. The Eee PC can find the SSID, but is unable to connect while my IBM can't even find the SSID in Lubuntu. I have also tried booting the IBM from a live CD - PCLinuxOS lxde-2010, but that distro couldn't find the SSID for my network either. I have done a lot of searching on the Internet and found that this issue can have a number of causes. Some talk about installing Gnome Network manager, others talk about installing WiFi Radar, and others talk about a driver issue. Unfortunately, I am still unsure which category if any Lubuntu falls in under. Can someone help me out? Ironically there doesn't seem to be any support for any issues I have run into with Lubuntu on the Ubuntu Forums.org site. I realize Lubuntu isn't official yet, but Shuttleworth has put his weight behind the project. Anyway, I hope someone here can help me sort this out.

IBM Thinkpad T60 - Lubuntu 10.04
Eee PC 701 - Lubuntu 10.04
Marty Jack

Re: Lubuntu and WPA2-PSK problems.

Post by Marty Jack »

Have you made sure your router is configured to support B and/or G and/or N depending on which standard level your different laptops run?
If for example you had it G only and your laptop only supports B it won't be able to see the router.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Marty Jack wrote:Have you made sure your router is configured to support B and/or G and/or N depending on which standard level your different laptops run?
If for example you had it G only and your laptop only supports B it won't be able to see the router.
Hi Marty,

According to the D-Link DI-524UP manual, 802.11g is backwards compatible with 802.11b. I have assumed that this means 802.11b devices can connect to the 802.11g router.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Here is a partial solution to my problems:

1) I changed the encryption to the inferior WPA-PSK
2) I changed the channel from 12 and moved it to a lower setting.

Now both computers can access the network. However, I don't understand why Lubuntu has problems dealing with WPA2-PSK encryption. What is the problem? Would using wicd help and is it compatible with all of the LXDE bits?
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

Pretty simple why it doesn't work with WPA2. The router is so old it predates WPA2, at least if I am reading the spec sheet correctly.

It is most likely nothing Lubuntu per se did. Sounds like a lower-level driver issue or a protocol incompatibility between the router and the machines you are connecting to it, given that everything was working before you changed out the router. Yes that did happen particularly in the early days of G when the standard wasn't that stable.

This is not a good way to reach the people who are responsible for the parts of Lubuntu that aren't the few packages that make up LXDE. They would be on the Ubuntu support system.

Start by assuming the router is at fault, since it is the component you changed. Connect to it hardwired and make sure it is configured the way you want it.

That router is so old and discontinued it is hard to find information about it. My guess is it will be hard to find support also. Good luck to you in your search.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Marty Jack wrote:Pretty simple why it doesn't work with WPA2. The router is so old it predates WPA2, at least if I am reading the spec sheet correctly
Hi Marty,

The router supports WPA2-PSK or I wouldn't be able to change the encryption settings to that format. Interestingly, after I have done some more googling, it seems that this is a more general Linux problem experienced on a number of distros. I have also tried booting from the Ubuntu 10.04 desktop live CD and experience the same problem.

Yes, sorry if I am wasting bandwidth, unfortunately I have never been able to get a response on a Lubuntu question answered on the Ubuntu forums. I also mentioned this in my first posting on this topic. It sometimes is difficult to find out what is Ubuntu related and what is LXDE related, when I can't get a response on the Ubuntu forums, let alone a response that points me in the right direction.