network manager

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
JensNDS

network manager

Post by JensNDS »

Hi all, only again to be sure,
if itpossible that if I have gnome installed and after then in install lxde, then the install remove the network manager? I think i have seen something?
maces

Re: network manager

Post by maces »

Hi

What distro are you using? On Ubuntu you can check via Synaptic, if it is installed. Then install it, if needed. Search for something like "network-manager".

btw: What have you seen?

maces
JensNDS

Post by JensNDS »

Hi, the distri is debian Lenny. I installed lxde via apt-get and i think the dependent deinstalled the network-manager.
maces

Post by maces »

What happens if you try to reinstall network-manager?

maces
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

I am a bit confused, what is the actual status (gnome?) and what is wanted(LXDE+gnome-network-manager)?
stanjam

Post by stanjam »

Network Manager is set to start only in GNOME by default, but it will work fine in LXDE. Just go to your home folder, enable viewing hidden folders, and browse to .configure/autostart. You will see the network manager start program there. Edit it with a text editor. You will see a line that says something like "OnlyWorksIn=GNOME or "OnlyStartsIn=GNOME" something like that. Either add LXDE to the list or kill this line altogether. You should then get NEtwork-Manager to start up when you log in to LXDE. If not it is a simple script to get Network-Manager running.
stanjam

Post by stanjam »

Just so you know, I have stopped using Network Manager. Instead I use wicd now. Haven't had any problems, and it seems to work very well. No issues connecting to my WPA2 network.
parislanuit

Post by parislanuit »

I have jsut installed LXDE from a Xubuntu 9.10 environment and computer works much better than XFCE.
The computer doesnot display Network manager although installed on the system.
NMLX is not installed and can't be via synaptic. maybe due to a conflict with xfce's Networkmanager..? I prefer to have the same Networkmanager on both systems that is why i'd prefer to have NM to work in Lxde instead of any other (if possible).
I have been trying to find NM file in .configure/autostart but it is not present.
Maybe due to Karmic version ?
Where can i find it and get NM to work and have an applet installed on the desk bar
What command should i use to run NM/applet in the LXterminal?

Thanks for any usefull reply!

System: Toshiba S1710 - Celeron 600Mhz - 160Mo Sdram100 - HD 6Go
Zydas wifi usb Dongle
Xubuntu Karmic 9.10 - Ext4 +LXDE
Bobby Six

Post by Bobby Six »

parislanuit wrote:I have jsut installed LXDE from a Xubuntu 9.10 environment and computer works much better than XFCE.
The computer doesnot display Network manager although installed on the system.
NMLX is not installed and can't be via synaptic. maybe due to a conflict with xfce's Networkmanager..? I prefer to have the same Networkmanager on both systems that is why i'd prefer to have NM to work in Lxde instead of any other (if possible).
I have been trying to find NM file in .configure/autostart but it is not present.
Maybe due to Karmic version ?
Where can i find it and get NM to work and have an applet installed on the desk bar
What command should i use to run NM/applet in the LXterminal?

Thanks for any usefull reply!

System: Toshiba S1710 - Celeron 600Mhz - 160Mo Sdram100 - HD 6Go
Zydas wifi usb Dongle
Xubuntu Karmic 9.10 - Ext4 +LXDE
try this, adding the nm-aaplet line to the autostart file found in " /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE "

@lxde-settings
@xscreensaver -no-splash
@lxpanel --profile LXDE
@pcmanfm -d
@nm-applet

my system configs are

P4 with xubuntu 9.04 standard install with lxde on top as default desktop environ (throw in opera or google chrome for a real treat, blows win xp/ie 8 out of the water)

P3 with ubuntu 8.04 upgraded to 9.04 with lxde on top as default desktop environ (again opera and chrome beta keep the kids happy)

that line in my startup file makes the network manager work just as it did in ubuntu/xubuntu

on my xubuntu machine i went into terminal and from within lxde and "sudo mousepad" from there i opened the startup file and added the line. once i was complete i "save as" and that was it.

on my ubuntu machine i had to go into terminal from within lxde (dont know if you can do it from gnome/xfce/kde, didnt test it) and "sudo gedit" to the same file and it works fine.

oh yeah the terminal command that i used was "nm-applet"