lxde killed my network

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
hisotaso

lxde killed my network

Post by hisotaso »

I run Ubuntu 8.10. I installed the lxde packages via synaptic, and after about 10 secs i got the message "network manager is missing resources and cannot continue". I though nothing of it at the time. I logged in to lxde and no internet, logged back in to standard gnome, no internet, and my network monitor icon is gone. I cannot access any of my shared drives or the internet, its all gone. Also in synaptic, network-manager and network-manager-gnome are gone, and who knows what else. To fix this i had to go to my other machine and download the deb files for network-manager and network-manager-gnome to a flash drive and install them, then update. Not sure if i did something wrong or what, but ill pass for now.
lostson

Re: lxde killed my network

Post by lostson »

I have seen this posted other places as well it seems when installing lxde on Ubuntu it removes gnome's network manager and company. This is a problem with the Ubuntu dev who is packaging up lxde for Ubuntu. File a bug upstream with them.
Payne

Post by Payne »

I use pyneighborhood to mount network drive/path, so that I can browse the network using PCManFM, PCManFM doesn't mount network drive/path automatically

https://launchpad.net/pyneighborhood/+announcement/2032
lovely

Post by lovely »

Payne wrote:I use pyneighborhood to mount network drive/path, so that I can browse the network using PCManFM, PCManFM doesn't mount network drive/path automatically

https://launchpad.net/pyneighborhood/+announcement/2032

thanks for the information.
:D
slimtop

Post by slimtop »

wicd is also a very good alternative to gnome-nm.