Network connection needed

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
nomko

Network connection needed

Post by nomko »

Hi everyone!

I want to do the following: I want to connect with my main desktop system (PC-2) to my 2nd system (PC-1) to access the external drive connected to PC-1. As can be seen in the picture, both systems have a wired connected to a router.

My question is: how can I access PC-1 from PC-2 using the external drive connected to PC-1. It’s mainly for file tranfer between PC-2 and the external disk.

Is there some tutorial on how to do it? Or can someone explain it to me step-by-step? And what kind of tool do I have to use?

I noticed that PCManfm isn’t sufficient enough, since it is missing network options?

Anyone who can help me here? It will be very much appreciated!
Attachments
network.png
(58.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*RaLink RT2500 802.11g*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router
seppalta

Re: Network connection needed

Post by seppalta »

You should be able to google up a general solution. You need to know the ip address of all the computers involved,

Code: Select all

ifconfig
, but I don't remember what you do with them.
The easiest solution is to just plug the external drive into the router provided it has a usb plugin. Pcmanfm (Go>Network Drives) should find it then. I have a setup with a Netgear Router with 1 USB outlet that I connect to an 8-USB station in which I have connected 3 external drives , one a 500 GB self-powered Hitachi.
Bamainfotech

Re: Network connection needed

Post by Bamainfotech »

I needed this connection.