Removing networking tray icons

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
Ilyps

Removing networking tray icons

Post by Ilyps »

Hey all,

I've just installed the new openSUSE 12.3 with LXDE. One of the problems I'm having is numerous networking tray icons, of which I only seem to need one. I'd like to remove/hide the others (without disabling the interfaces) because I'm on a tiny netbook and every pixel counts.

Here is a screenshot of my panel bar with the tray icons numbered: http://i.imgur.com/efGocWG.png

1: eth0 interface. I'd like the icon gone.
2: wlan0 interface. Seems to have same functionality as 3; I'd like it gone too.
3: NetworkManager Applet 0.9.6.4. The wlan0 tray icon I actually use. This one should stay.

I don't know which program is associated with icons 1 and 2 (they have no about/info as far as I can see). Rightclicking them gives "Repair/Disable", hovering over them gives interface information and leftclicking eth0 does nothing whereas leftclicking wlan0 gives a connectivity bar.

(I've found I could remove icon number 3 by unchecking "Network" in the LXDE Control Center's "Session settings", but this is the one I'd like to keep...)

My question: how can I remove/hide icons 1 & 2 without disabling the interfaces? Which program is associated with them? I've spend the better part of the day trying to find this out, but I just can't find any information. On these forums I couldn't find anything related either.

Thank you very much for any help you can give.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Removing networking tray icons

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Hello llyps and welcome to the lxde forums. You should be able to get rid of the icons by right clicking on any open space on the lxpanel and choosing Add/Remove panel items. From there you can get rid of any icons that ypou do not want displayed.
See
http://lxlinux.com/#4
Rex
Ilyps

Post by Ilyps »

Bloody $%^ :)

Thank you for the reply. I didn't realise the icons apparently weren't part of the system tray after all. I was worried the answer would be very simple - it so often is when you can't find any other people with your problem - but I would never have thought of looking in the panel applets for them.

Thanks.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Your quite welcome. Stick around. Perhaps you can provide assistance some of the others who log on with a problem or question. We are a small forum with even fewer active members, but it is the only place that I know of where you can seek assistance for lxde assistance no matter which operating system you are currently using.
Rex