Trouble mounting NAS

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
Squirrelking

Trouble mounting NAS

Post by Squirrelking »

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem.

I've just installed Lubuntu 13.04 and although everything else seems to be running fine I cannot figure out how to access my NAS. It's a share partition on an iomega Screenplay Director HD that shows up on all my Windows installs, I can see it under Network Drives but double clicking just brings up the error message "the specified location is not mounted".

So how do I mount it?

I've been searching all over the place, installed Samba and have no idea where to go from here. I know NOTHING about code and every guide or forum post I've come across doesn't really take this into account. If someone could hold my hand here and explain what to do to fix it I'd appreciate the help.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Trouble mounting NAS

Post by Rex Bouwense »

When you launch PCManFM do you see it in the left hand column? If you do, right click it and choose mount. That is the simple answer. If you have already tried that please excuse my basic response, but we have to start somewhere.
Have you looked here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo
That is a step by step how to.
Rex
Squirrelking

Post by Squirrelking »

Yep, tried that but it keeps telling me only an administrator can perform that operation. If I open the folder as root the Windows share disappears and it won't le me see anything in my network space.

Don't think NFS is an option as the drive is pretty much a "do as you're told user" model with no real options.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I just got an email from seppalta and he suggests:
I think remark (6) near end of http://lxlinux.com/#17 probably takes care of squirrelking's problem. Otherwise, try using NTFS Configuration Tool as suggested in http://lxlinux.com/#20.
He generally knows what he is talking about so check it out.
Rex
Squirrelking

Post by Squirrelking »

No joy there, gvfs is all installed and NTFS Config hasn't achieved much either.

This hard drive has been more bother than it's worth, so help me! Feel like bashing my head off a wall...

Thanks for your help so far though, it's really appreciated. I have the feeling that it's something simple that's at fault, if I could just run it as USB I would but I need it connected to the router which is too far away. Gonna see if it works using the 32 bit 12.04 install on the spare laptop.
Squirrelking

Post by Squirrelking »

HA!

Soi it turns out I'm actually an idiot. Sorry, more of a n00b than previously thought.

Found a guide elsewhere for samba and realised that in order to navigate I need to use the address bar

eg.

Code: Select all

smb://192.168.1.12
took me to the NAS and adding the the subsequent folder to the address:

Code: Select all

smb://192.168.1.12/ScreenplayDirector
let me navigate as normal. :D

Thanks again though for the help, it was thoroughly appreciated but as said I know NOTHING about these daft intricacies which is what was tripping me up! Looks like Lubuntu is here to stay (now got 4 installs and a USB copy on the go!) though.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Great. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Stick around and see if you can provide some help to others. We are all volunteers and our experience runs from none to those with degrees in computer science. Everyone finds his or her own nitch.
Rex