missed wireless connections in NetworkManager

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
Marcelo

Re: missed wireless connections in NetworkManager

Post by Marcelo »

Yes. It's on and it was always on, I think. It's just that I've never watched the icon next to the light.
Marcelo

Post by Marcelo »

SOLVED!!!!!!!!!

I had completely forgotten there were two firmware packages Debian failed to find when installing. One of them is "iwlwifi" (full name iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode; still don't know what the other package is for, but it's called rtl.nic/rtl8168e-3.fw) and the four steps given in http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi and pasted below solved the problem directly.

1. Add a "non-free" component to /etc/apt/sources.list, for example (for Debian 7 "Wheezy):

Code: Select all

deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
2. Update the list of available packages and install the firmware-iwlwifi package:

# apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi
3. As the iwlwifi module is automatically loaded for supported devices, reinsert this module to access installed firmware:

# modprobe -r iwlwifi ; modprobe iwlwifi
4. Configure your wireless interface as appropriate.

So I basically misled you by saying I screwed the connection up. What it for sure happened is that I had never had the wireless connection working in this fresh installation, while I remembered to have had it because I keep an old, similar but corrupted OS in another partition where wifi was not a problem, It's not at all the first time I deal with these two packages, but as I used to install them right away this trouble never showed up before.

Even though for that reason I cannot say your help, guys, was a hit on the nail's head, it contained the right keywords for a successful search, and the tip of a bunch of commands I had no idea they were there. Thanks so much for your help. Best regards.

PS: I think it could help someone to highlight these two commands I found on the way and were useful to me. The first confirmed that I haven't blocked wifi by hardware; and the second told me Debian was not recognizing the wifi card either, as Rex Bouwense told me (and many other details such as wifi card model).

# rfkill list all
# lshw -C network
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Great. It is always important, I believe, to share solutions so that others may learn from us. That is one of the great things about the forums in the open source arena. They share. Stick around and provide help, if you can, to others. We never refuse assistance.
Rex