I need usb wifi adapter that works out of the box For LXLE

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
jbander

I need usb wifi adapter that works out of the box For LXLE

Post by jbander »

I need this to try to convert 5 computers at the homeless shelter I volunteer at, They are running XP and are a mess, Slow, with Viruses and unsupported. I would prefer it to be inexpensive because I'm floating the bill. I just need one to start with to see if the people can handle LXLE, I find LXLE to be put together well and as easy as linux gets. This is for LXLE 32 bit 12.04 revisited
Rex Bouwense

Re: I need usb wifi adapter that works out of the box For LX

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. I corrected the title of your thread to bring it in line with your problem.
You probably need to provide some additional information like what computer(s) you are using. In the mean time you can go here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... sSupported

and check it for yourself.
Last edited by Rex Bouwense on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Additional information
Rex
drooly

Re: I need usb wifi adapter that works out of the box For LX

Post by drooly »

yes, basically the same as ubuntu, because LXLE is based on (l)ubuntu.

and usually those usb wifi adapters manufacturers/hardware/firmware is the same as for the built-in cards, so try to find some info about how it works on linux before buying it.
(as a negative example, i recently installed linux on a laptop with a built-in SiS wireless chip, and that was horror).

try to find something that works without installing firmware, purely open source.
look at this list: http://h-node.org/wifi/catalogue/en
and choose the ones that work purely with free software.

are all 5 computers the same? if not, and they're older, it won't be so easy?
are all 5 computers less than 10 years old? if older, it won't be so easy.

on a side-note (sorry for the rant) i'm not so sure if LXLE is such a good distro.
they are high up in the distrowatch-charts at the moment, but i think they've only been doing it for a year.