getting wireless to work

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
pdc_2

getting wireless to work

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi; I have installed the MoonOS; that uses the LXDE desktop; on an ASUS Eee 900; my problem is I cannot get the network icon to recognise a nearby wireless network; and would be grateful for advice on how to enable this feature; I note that if I boot the Eee from a USB stick, with Ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix, that the network icon there has two options: (when I right click; ) 1) enable network and 2) enable wireless;

if click on the network icon (in MoonOS) using LXDE, I only have "enable network";

grateful for any guidance on how to get the wireless working;

in contrast, the configuration of a Huawei 220 USB modem to connect to a Vodafone 3G network is excellent;

and connecting to a wired router via eth0 is fine too
pdc_2

Re: getting wireless to work: SOLVED

Post by pdc_2 »

I followed this Ubuntu tutorial, and installed the latest atheros drivers from compat-wireless

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-get-at ... -ibex.html

I did all that was recommended, and after re-booting I had a ghosted wireless network to click on; and after configuring it is now available;

Just before re-booting, I looked at hardware drivers, and I got the impression that the atheros drivers in the MoonOS are not activated by default; so .......... it may be ........... that had I activated that region first ......... I might not have needed to follow all the above steps in the excellent ubuntugeek tutorial;

whatever;

now delighted to have eth0; wireless; and very impressed that the third option of mobile broadband also works beautifully