How to use lxnm???

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
ebike

How to use lxnm???

Post by ebike »

Hi All,

I am trying to use lxnm but am not finding out any info on how it works.

I have installed it and it is running. I am not sure what panel plug-in uses it, there seems to be two choices:
1. A "net status monitor" plugin and a 2. "Manage Networks" plugin

Number 1. has a "configure" option that doesn't do anything .. it states my eth0 is not a valid interface, but I am using it so go figure ..... :o

Number 2. when you hover over it shows the current status of my eth0 (wired network) but doesn't show my wireless
network and when I right click on it just shows a "repair" or "disable" text, no way to "manage" anything.

Which is the right plugin and why doesn't my wireless show up? Also, to get my wired interface to come up I had
to put the appropriate entries in /etc/network/interfaces, otherwise the icon doesn't even show up in the panel.

Anyone know how to use lxnm, at the moment it is of no use to me at all ..

By the way, my wireless network used to work just fine under gnome and network-manager and iwconfig shows the interface there just fine.
firmit

Re: How to use lxnm???

Post by firmit »

1 ) Net status monitor is just that - a monitor. It is not lxnm.

2 ) Manage Network is lxnm.
- hover - info, yes
- rightclick - repair/disable
- leftclick!! If your interface is up - you should get a list of available networks by clicking on the icon. Select network and enter password if necessary.
inurfez

Post by inurfez »

Hello,

I got two problems with lxnm and wireless.
With wired connection, there's no problem all is working good !

So, lxnm tell me : wlan0 Wireless Connection has no Connectivity

The interface is "up" and when I start a : iwlist wlan0 scan I can see the wireless access points and just after this command, lxnm shows me the point access list.

So I click on mine in the list, lxnm ask me for the passphrase ( my access point is protected through WPA ), I enter the good pass, I click on Ok, then nothing happend and lxnm shows me no more access point ("wlan0 Wireless Connection has no Connectivity").

I hope someone could help me. I apologize for my bad english and I precise my configuration : I'm on a debian lenny with lxde installed from official debian packages. To be more precise, my wireless card works well in Win$*$$* and in Gnome with Network-Manager-Gnome.

Bye
ebike

Post by ebike »

ok, I had initialy tried a LEFT-CLICK, but nothing happened.

What I have tried is this:

1. I brought up the wlan0 interface with "ifconfig wlan0 up" and had another network icon pop up in the tray (with a red cross). When I hover over it it says "wlan0 Wireless connection has no conectivity", when I left-click the icon I get the text "wireless networks not found in range"

2. If I do a "wlist wlan0 scan" I see my AP, so why doesn't lxnm see it?

Is there really mean't to be two network icons in the tray? One for wired and one for wireless?

Cheers,
inurfez

Post by inurfez »

Thank you for your answer.

But here it is a diffenrent problem, lxnm don't scan and after a manual scan, the network list appears, but afer entering the key, nothing happend.
ebike

Post by ebike »

Thanks for your answer firmit but you are missing the point completely.

If lxnm is have any functionality of network-manager it should be able to detect any networks out there regardless
of any entry in /etc/network/interfaces. My point is (and also of inurfez) is that the networks are not detected until
AFTER you do a manual scan with iwlist, eg iwlist wlan0 scan .... then they show up and when I have sucessfully connected there is no way to change over my routing to use the wireless network instead of the wired. (and yes I tried "disabling" the wired interface, if you do that, there is no way to connect to the wired again, as the icon goes away ... it's just all very flakey at the moment)

i.e if I connect to the wireless and pull out the wired ethernet, the routing doesn't change over and I have to restart
networking to get it to use the interface.
PCMan

Post by PCMan »

To be honest, lxnm is currently known to be problematic.
Most of the time, it should work since it uses source code from iwlist and
the command line tools of the system.
If it doesn't work for you, please try the latest svn version.
Otherwise, install network manager + nm-applet instead.

Please contatc Fred, the developer of lxnm, for further information.
ebike

Post by ebike »

I did even better. I installed Wicd, it is a great network manager. Even has some better features than
gnome network manager and doesn't have any dependencies apart from GTK. Just works.
PCMan

Post by PCMan »

doesn't have any dependencies apart from GTK. Just works.
doesn't have any dependencies apart from GTK, pyGTK, and python.