Change default e.mail application

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
baltasarq

Change default e.mail application

Post by baltasarq »

I'm using lxde 0.3.2.1 on Ubuntu, completely updated.

I was using gnome before, and it seems that evolution was left as the default e.mail application, though I uninstalled evolution some time ago, and I am using Sylpheed instead.

As there is no gnome, I can't use the preferred applications control panel. OpenBox o r lxde control panel only lets me choose the terminal and file manager.

I've learnt that there is not a corresponding application for changing the preferred applications in lxde.

I'd like to know how can I change this setting. Any idea?
baltasarq

Re: Change default e.mail application

Post by baltasarq »

After tough digging in the net, I've come with the answer:

You have to use gconf-editor, and navigate to desktop > gnome > url-handlers > mailto
In the command key, enter "sylpheed --compose %s", and you're done.

This is strange, as gnome is actually uninstalled from my system. I guess I'll have to wait to the lUbuntu edition in order to have a coherent desktop behaviour.
cwickert

Re: Change default e.mail application

Post by cwickert »

What do you need this for? If you are talking about handling mailto: links from Firefox, this can be configured in Firefox itself. Please look at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_mail_ ... x_in_Linux how to do this.
LXDE has no way of setting the preferred mail client because none of the LXDE applications has the ability to send mail, so it is not needed. And this is why I don't think this issue will be addressed in Lubuntu, you still have to manually configure it for FF as described above.

Regards,
Christoph