Audio always muted in LXDE - linux mint Gloria

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
confused.brit

Audio always muted in LXDE - linux mint Gloria

Post by confused.brit »

I have switched my Linux mint laptop's DE to LXDE as i heard it was a lot better on system resources then Gnome. And for the most part i'm impressed. This ol' lappy is 3x quicker even then its winxp days. :) Good job on that.

Im a complete Linux noob, only been using it from the start of the year but apart from one little issue here i've not had any problems in LXDE.

My issue is, whenever i boot up, i can hear the GDM sound fine. But when I log into LXDE my volume is set for 1/3 and muted. I have a manual volume control knob on this so i usually keep it full and unmuted, so i dont know how it chose this.

How can I change this default?
gilir

Re: Audio always muted in LXDE - linux mint Gloria

Post by gilir »

You can try to use alsamixer in a terminal, and to unmuted by pressing "m".
nirvanix

Post by nirvanix »

That's not reallly a solution because the next time you boot up the same problem is there. I've tried using 'alsactl store' after setting unmute in alsamixer, but it does not retain the setting. This is an outstanding problem that needs to be addressed. It's only a recent release of LXDE that has had this problem.
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

Ask your distro for help. We do not do anything to the sound unless you ask for it to be done explicitly in one of the configuration files.