audio driver

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
nosferatu

audio driver

Post by nosferatu »

I have a sis audio driver.
I just installed ubuntu 8.10 with lxde, then i upgraded to 9.04. At 8.10 i had sound, but in 9.04 i don't have sound.
I understood that ubuntu has sis drivers incorporanted so i don't have to install them, but i see that i don't have sound.

Please help
aus9

Re: audio driver

Post by aus9 »

hi

altho I do not have your distro...it might be just that your mixer levels are muted or too low?

if you still have gnome try gnome mixer otherwise open a terminal and run command .....alsamixer
if you have no mixer installed...install alsamixer from package alsa-utils

If your master and speaker are showing MM....right arrow to each one....and press the M key to unmute

if the volumes are too low....press the page up or arrow up....when relevant setting is highlighted

good luck
nosferatu

Post by nosferatu »

oh man, you're a life saver :-)

One more other thing. The screen resolution is always changing. What do i have to do to keep the resulution selected permanently?
aus9

Post by aus9 »

oops forgot to mention check your pcm level in alsamixer as well.

2) well thats a different question.

I use xorg so mine is set by a /etc/X11/xorg.conf and I use a Nvidia closed source binary to taint my kernel so you may need to post a separate thread and mention what you are using please
like LXDE on top of openbox etc
nosferatu

Post by nosferatu »

I'm using sis video card.
After every reboot the screen resolution is changing. use the one selected as default
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

Please ask your distro for help with your video resolution issue. LXDE is a very small part of Ubuntu+LXDE and no one here works on anything to do with your video driver. Also, we do not know what you started out with, so you may have something left over from a previous desktop environment that is interfering.

Normally if you have a video issue you look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if there are any clues.