Fine Tuning the Display Parameters

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
teledyn

Fine Tuning the Display Parameters

Post by teledyn »

Is there a configuration file or some other method to set some of the display details such as Click-To-Focus vs Focus-Follows-Mouse or to set colour of specific parts of the display such as the window title-bars?

Ideally I would like to emulate the default Ubuntu Hardy Gnome look, with the white panel-bar at the bottom, tan-coloured window title-bars, with focus-follows-mouse and minimal zoom/minimize effects.
teledyn

Re: Fine Tuning the Display Parameters

Post by teledyn »

aha ... very close now: I found the focus-follows-mouse setting in ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml where I could set followMouse to yes and also set the theme from the default Onyx to Human; available choices are in /usr/share/themes/ but why aren't these selected when using the Preferences/Appearance/WindowThemes dialog?

I also turned off the background image in the panel right-click preferences menu, and set the background to /usr/share/backgrounds/heron-simple.png in the pcmanfm Edit/Preferences/Desktop tab (why are desktop config items here and not in the main Preferences/Appearance menu?) and I had to change the panel font colour before I could see the clock.

and now everything looks really nice now :)

btw, are there any add-on applets that will work with LXDE?
teledyn

Post by teledyn »

a few small outstanding functions:
  • Is it possible to have the icons on the desktop sorted so that the folders appear first and documents appear after?
  • how do I bind my laptop media function keys? (eg volume up/down/mute)
  • is there an applet that will show my WiFi signal strength and allow me to configure a connection?
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

You could use xbindkeys for the Multimedia Keys.
With xbindkeys you can define commands called on key (combos) strikes.
I think Xbindkeys is easier to configure than the lxde-rc.conf from openbox, but you could do it there, also.