Which distros work best with LXDE?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
YTurtle

Re: Which distros work best with LXDE?

Post by YTurtle »

The LXDE spin of Fedora did look interesting, so I downloaded the torrent and loaded the iso to a usb stick using unetbootin. When I rebooted everything appeared to be loading well when I received the following error message:
[drm:drm_mode_rmfb] *ERROR* tried to remove a fb that we did not own. Boot has failed, sleeping forever.
Am I correct that this is somehow related to a restricted driver I have installed? Is there a workaround that would allow me to test this Fedora spin? I've been using Masonux, which is a minimal Ubuntu distro that uses LXDE on a Lenovo netbook.

Perhaps I should post this on a Fedora forum, but I will appreciate any help this group can offer.
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

Hi YTurtle,

thanks for your interest in the Fedora LXDE Spin. I am very sorry to tell you that I had to withdraw the spin due to a severe bug. For more info, please have a look at my announcement:
YTurtle wrote:[drm:drm_mode_rmfb] *ERROR* tried to remove a fb that we did not own. Boot has failed, sleeping forever.
This is a different bug and has nothing to do with LXDE or the spin itself. Here is the bugreport:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=530002
This is already discussed in the Fedora forum:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=232275
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=232908
Am I correct that this is somehow related to a restricted driver I have installed?
No, we don't ship any restricted drivers in Fedora
Is there a workaround that would allow me to test this Fedora spin?
I haven't read the whole discussion in Bugzilla and the forum but I think it has something to do with the way you created the USB image. Can you try to make an image with Fedora's LiveUSB Creator? Anyway, this would not help you much, but for testing it's ok. And you can still boot into runlevel 3 by appending "3" to the kernel command line in the boot manager and later switch to runlevel 5. Somehow the bug only appears when booting straight into X.

Sorry once again for the inconvenience. I appreciate the large number of downloads, it shows me that many people actually care about LXDE and my work.

Kind regards.
Christoph
YTurtle

Post by YTurtle »

Thanks so much for your help. I'm looking forward to trying out the LXDE spin when you have resolved the new issues.
Chriswaterguy

Post by Chriswaterguy »

cwickert wrote:OK, Fedora's LXDE Spin is now available at http://spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/
Get it while it's hot and please don't forget to give me your feedback! ;)

Have fun,
Christoph
Warning: There's a block on it. Glad I took the conservative approach. I'll wait.

Looking forward to trying it though - thanks for the work Christoph.
bulkley

Post by bulkley »

If it hasn't been mentioned before, because of its small imprint, Lxde is a natural for live-CDs. That download on the front page is a good place to start. I've used it as a basis for customizing.
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

YTurtle wrote:The LXDE spin of Fedora did look interesting, so I downloaded the torrent and loaded the iso to a usb stick using unetbootin
It seems this is a problem of unetbootin. Please try liveusb-creator and don't forget to verify the image after the download.

Regards,
Christoph
FreelY

Post by FreelY »

+1 for Arch Linux :mrgreen:
Joel

Post by Joel »

Look @ my signature ;)
* Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM
* Debian testing (squeeze) & lxde ; Kernel2.6.30-2-686.
* lighttpd, php5, perl, eruby, python.
* geany, Web dev, gtk+, QT4, wx, bindings.
* Siguiente: Debian testing ;)
besonian

Post by besonian »

I'm using it with PCLinuxOS (PCLXDE) on two old-ish machines and one right up-to-date machine and it's brilliant on all three. Fast, elegant, simple - a delight to use. I've only just joined this forum, but whoever's responsible for this DE - congratulations on a really excellent piece of work.
roystonlodge

Post by roystonlodge »

I created a games and educational laptop for my nephews using an old Dell Pentium III laptop with less than 200MB of RAM and a 400mhz CPU.

I started with Ubuntu Minimal, then I installed LXDE, and then I started installing all the apps.

Worked great. I think I'm going to use Ubuntu Minimal as the base system for most of my projects in the future.

I've also used the Debian Net-Install CD to use a minimal Debian as the base system.

On some systems the Ubuntu worked better, and on other systems the Debian worked better. I dunno why.
Last edited by roystonlodge on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.