Fastest system

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
eo1oe

Fastest system

Post by eo1oe »

Hello,
Recently I started moving from Windows to linux and eventually found Lubuntu, which I really enjoy right now. I'm gonna totally forget Windows in some time, as soon as I finish exploring linux and become confident enough for this transfer. Right now i'm running Lubuntu 11.04 on VirtualBox and, as I expected, it's sometimes not that fast (although I'm giving it more than enough resources). I've seen that lubuntu is one of the fastest and still full-featured linux systems with quite nice GUI. I need a lightning fast system without many candyish features like KDE (that's why I choose LXDE) for work and home usage.
So my question is: what would you advise as the fastest linux system to put LXDE over it, but without loosing features and simplicity (mostly to be like Ubuntu). Or in other words is there any faster analogue for Lubuntu?
Thanks.
rockdoctor

Re: Fastest system

Post by rockdoctor »

I suspect a LFS (Linux From Scratch) build properly customized for your system would be the fastest base on which to build, with a customized Gentoo build a close second. As to whether it's worth going through the effort to build such a system, that only you can decide.
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
eo1oe

Post by eo1oe »

rockdoctor,
thanks for your reply :)
2 questions appeared though.
1. Can I use something like apt-get on LFS or any other simple way of installing ubuntu software.
2. I believe there is some kind of tool to create custom install iso from the current system installed (basically to make my custom linux distribution, so I don't have to make it all the way from start if I choose to install it elsewhere). Any advices on this?
Thanks alot for help :D
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

eo1oe wrote:Hello,
Recently I started moving from Windows to linux and eventually found Lubuntu, which I really enjoy right now.
Hello and Welcome :)

First thing first, congratulation for seeing the light :) I'm sure you'll love Linux and start using it on daily basis.

Second of all, Lubuntu is definitely one of the best choices that you did and will make. It's my favourite distribution :)
Right now i'm running Lubuntu 11.04 on VirtualBox and, as I expected, it's sometimes not that fast (although I'm giving it more than enough resources).
As far as I know, running Lubuntu on VirtualBox is NOT like running it after installing it on your HDD. I have installed Lubuntu 11.04 on VirtualBox in Win7 and it's running slower than my 6 years old PC with Lubuntu 11.04.

If you really like Lubuntu, I suggest to install it on a HDD. If you need any more info, please let me know :)
I've seen that lubuntu is one of the fastest and still full-featured linux systems with quite nice GUI. I need a lightning fast system without many candyish features like KDE (that's why I choose LXDE) for work and home usage.
If Lubuntu didn't meet your needs then SliTaz might be another choice but keep in mind that Lubuntu is much better than SliTaz. SliTaz is just 30MB OS and you may find what you need in SliTaz, like Speed, but you may not find lots of drivers. Lubuntu just works out-of-the box. It has lots of support on Ubuntu Forum and soon, it will be the official variant on Ubuntu.

So my question is: what would you advise as the fastest linux system to put LXDE over it, but without loosing features and simplicity (mostly to be like Ubuntu). Or in other words is there any faster analogue for Lubuntu?
May I know what are the Hardware Specification of your machine?
I have installed Linux Mint 9 LXDE on 11 years old broken HP Laptop (P2 @ 366MHz - 64MB RAM - 4GB HDD) and it worked much faster than XP on that machine. Having the said, Lubuntu 11.04 simply SUPER FAST on my P4 with less than 512MB RAM.

There are many alternatives but again, Lubuntu is better IMHO.
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
eo1oe

Post by eo1oe »

amijjawad
Thank you for your reply, rly appreciate it.
My work pc is Intel Core i5 3.33 GHz, 4GB RAM, home pc is dual core (idk the frequency) 1GB RAM and home laptop with 512 MB RAM.
And I seem to have found perfect decision for myself: I downloaded Ubuntu Natty Mini ISO, installed only the base system, then did sudo apt-get install lxde and afterwards added all the SW i need (which was quite a lot but still it's better to do this once than remove all the stuff from Lubuntu).
Now I need to find some good tool to make iso of my system (I've heard of remastersys, but if there is anything better, I will be thankful to you).
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

eo1oe wrote:amijjawad
Thank you for your reply, rly appreciate it.
My work pc is Intel Core i5 3.33 GHz, 4GB RAM, home pc is dual core (idk the frequency) 1GB RAM and home laptop with 512 MB RAM.
And I seem to have found perfect decision for myself: I downloaded Ubuntu Natty Mini ISO, installed only the base system, then did sudo apt-get install lxde and afterwards added all the SW i need (which was quite a lot but still it's better to do this once than remove all the stuff from Lubuntu).
You most welcome :)

Well, indeed there are two approaches:
a- Install Lightweight Distribution and configure it the way you like.
b- Install the base/core system and then install whatever you want.

I have done both previously and I enjoyed that a lot :)

For Lubuntu, I know few things that could make it even faster like disable some apps from loading at the startup.
I was hoping that you install it on your home laptop the one with 512MB and see how fast it will be but apparently you prefer the 2nd approach (b) ;)

Now I need to find some good tool to make iso of my system (I've heard of remastersys, but if there is anything better, I will be thankful to you)
Yes, I have heard about it and installed it too. Didn't like it much and didn't search for something else at that time, I was just trying to try it out.
I'm not aware of any other app but I can give you a link that might help you:

www.googlubuntu.com

Enjoy :)
eo1oe

Post by eo1oe »

I've tried Xubuntu on laptop first, and recently i replaced it with Ubuntu minimal+LXDE and it runs fast as i've never seen it ot run.
I'll try remastersys now and if it fails then i hope this works :)
Thanks for your replies again, amijjawad.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

eo1oe wrote:I've tried Xubuntu on laptop first, and recently i replaced it with Ubuntu minimal+LXDE and it runs fast as i've never seen it ot run.
I'll try remastersys now and if it fails then i hope this works :)
Thanks for your replies again, amijjawad.
I do prefer GNOME and LXDE Desktop Manager/Environment over XFCE, KDE and Unity.
Xubuntu as far as I have read is running fast on old machines but honestly I did not try it myself.

I once did Ubuntu 10.04 server installation and tried to add more apps but unfortunately, I couldn't finish that test but looks like I'll give that another try soon with the mini iso :D

You most welcome and good luck with that :)
Please, keep us updated ;)
eo1oe

Post by eo1oe »

XFCE is faster than KDE and Unity, it's like Gnome, but LXDE, according to my experience and to some forum topics and reviews, is about 1.5 faster and eats about as much less resources. As soon as I disovered and tried it, I forgot about anythign else, tbh. LXDE , for my taste, is the best.

Ubuntu minimal + LXDE installation takes about 30 - 60 min, depending on your internet connection (the only minus is that it loads all the data from the internet, so you should have cable connection) but it brings you to clean, fast (even faster than lubuntu) desktop with all you need to build you dream linux system :D

Will reply with results of my attempts to create installable image of system when i finish
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

eo1oe wrote:XFCE is faster than KDE and Unity, it's like Gnome, but LXDE, according to my experience and to some forum topics and reviews, is about 1.5 faster and eats about as much less resources. As soon as I disovered and tried it, I forgot about anythign else, tbh. LXDE , for my taste, is the best.
Couldn't agree more :)
For me, I do hate KDE because it reminds me of Windows some how but at some point, perhaps it's wrong to say "I hate it" because I haven't used it for one week at least. Let me correct it and say "I dislike it".

XFCE is nice but again, haven't used it on daily basis.
Unity? OH MY :( hahahaha, I'm forcing myself to use it so at least when someone has a problem, I could help him on Ubuntu Forum. Otherwise, I don't really like it even though I think it might be much better but at least in the coming releases not now.

My favorite as always is GNOME and LXDE and ... because I'm more into old machines, I prefer LXDE so I guess we both at the same page :)
Perhaps that's why I chose LXDE and wanted to contribute more to this project.

Ubuntu minimal + LXDE installation takes about 30 - 60 min, depending on your internet connection (the only minus is that it loads all the data from the internet, so you should have cable connection) but it brings you to clean, fast (even faster than lubuntu) desktop with all you need to build you dream linux system :D
This is something I can't resist :D
Can you please tell me what are the processes which will be loaded in RAM once you turn your machine on?
If the process are the same in Lubuntu default installation, then there will be no or slightly difference.
Definitely, I need to give that a go. I think I'll do it soon :)
I'll let you know in case I'll do that experiment.

You have installed Ubuntu 11.04 mini or 10.04?
Will reply with results of my attempts to create installable image of system when i finish
Yes please. I'll be waiting :)
Good luck again.