Lubuntu 11.10 is here so what do you think?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
amjjawad

Lubuntu 11.10 is here so what do you think?

Post by amjjawad »

The first official Ubuntu variant is here. After so much hard work, Lubuntu, has joined Ubuntu Family OFFICIALLY and it became one of the official Ubuntu variants.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06936

The above page should have all what you need to know :)
Please make sure to use Torrent and keep Seeding to help others.

So, what do you think about Lubuntu 11.10 which finally made it to the family and has proved itself as one of the lightest distribution and the most improving one?

Your feedback/notes/suggestions are more than welcome :)

P.S.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lubuntu- ... 1753989696
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
Bob E

Re: Lubuntu 11.10 is here so what do you think?

Post by Bob E »

Hi amjjawad. I already posted feedback here on this forum http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31387 since there wasn't anywhere else to post it...you can probably just move it here and delete this post.

I'm getting ready to install it again on one of my desktops computers!

Thanks again for a great distro! :D :D :D
Bob E wrote:Everything went smooth and it runs great! The only issue was at shut-down after install. At "remove disk and press ENTER", I removed the disk, pressed enter, but the computer did not shut-down. I gave it about 3 minutes then just held the power button to shut it off.

This is a great distro! :D
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

I just finished installing Lu 11.10 on my desktop. VERY fast install!

I did forget to mention something in my previous post(s) above. This was the same problem with 11.04 - When running the Live CD, you MUST select "install" instead of "try" to get it to work. If you just want to "try" it, select "install", and then click "quit" on the first install window when it pops up. That way, you can try it live without installing it.
Also, the same shut-down problem after install occurred on my desktop install. (See previous post.)

But after that, everything else works great! :D
KBD47

Post by KBD47 »

I put Lubuntu 11.10 on a usb and plan on using it as a portable system. I just wanted to say that LXDE made my day today after using Ubuntu 11.10 Unity and the Gnome 3 fallback mode. Gnome 3 fallback is pretty horrible. Unity at first seemed better, but 3 times today the desktop froze up and I had to reboot--which is off the menu by the way--and Unity is harder to configure now. It seems the trend now is to give users less and less control of their desktops. Anyway, at the point of wiping Ubuntu 11.10 off of my drive I decided to install LXDE--ahhh the return of sanity to computing :-) A working desktop once again. Plus it LXDE immediately connected to my wireless this time--in 11.04 I had to click the network setting on in desktop session before it would work. LXDE seems to follow the KISS principle that too many other desktops have fled.
Good job with LXDE guys! I'm going to keep Lubuntu as a portable system on usb, but I have a LXDE desktop on reg. Ubuntu to bring back some sanity.
Thanks!
KBD47
Schelling

Post by Schelling »

Hi guys,

I have Lubuntu 11.04 in my HP Mini, and I love it, I am a happy user :) I have a couple of questions: would you recommend upgrade to 11.10 from Synaptic?, and if the differences between 11.04 and 11.10 are enough for the change. I ask this because I had made some changes and I would like to aviod start over :)

Thank you, and great work, really.

P.S. Forgive my spelling, English is not my main language.
alan

Post by alan »

Hello,

Just installed 11.10 this morning and so far I'm liking it. This is my first taste of Lxde so it will
take me some time to get the hang of it, but I sure do like how quick it is. Installing was quick
and painless and everything just works. I may give the Linux Mint Lxde version a try, just for
comparison, but I'm very happy with 11.10.

Alan.
bbmak

Post by bbmak »

I am so glad that LXDE has made it into Ubuntu derivative. Before Ubuntu acquires LXDE, I was always install Ubuntu without GUI, and then manually installed LXDE, which was a slow process -____-"
And, now, things are more convenience. I hope LXDE can keep up the good work and continue to make slim and memory friendly GUI.

Make the GUI runs on 64MB 8-)
Debian 5.04 +LXDE
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I downloaded Lubuntu 11.10 last evening via Bit Torrent (45 minutes) but have not installed it yet. I always play around with a new release before I install so I created a flash drive start-up disk and started to play. Everything seemed to work fine. I might add that I am dual booting Ubuntu 10.04 and Lubuntu 11.04 so I am familiar with Lubuntu (at least a little). My machine is an ASUS EeePC 1000 with 1 Gb of RAM. So after the first two hours of play time, I only have one comment. Good job. Now I'm sure there are glitches that will come up but, it is even blazing fast running from a flash drive. I will probably replace my 11.04 with the new release sooner than later.
Rex
KBD47

Post by KBD47 »

Just curious, since Lubuntu is officially part of Ubuntu now, can we expect Lubuntu 12.04 to be a long term support release next Spring?
KBD47
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Since all of the other flavors have LTS versions coming out in the Spring, I would assume that Lubuntu will do the same, but I think we have to wait until someone from the group is on line to answer that one.
Rex