Lubuntu 11.10 is here so what do you think?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Lubuntu 11.10 is here so what do you think?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

After two days of procrastination, I finally installed Lubuntu 11.10 and wow. Still no Software Center. Oh well I guess I'll install it myself. I will also more than likely delete the stupid games and the email program and install Thunderbird. I know, it is bloated but I have been using it before I converted to Linux and I love it. The team has done a great job. I hope that they don't do something stupid like Ubuntu did with Unity. But, that's why I am here. 8-)
Rex
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

As of today, 12.04 will NOT be LTS, unfortunately. However, I personally hope that will be changed.
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

Rex Bouwense wrote:Still no Software Center.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... _.28LSC.29

However, note that LSC is under heavy development and the stable version is not yet release. Most likely it will be ready with 12.04 as per the main developer who is working on it.
The team has done a great job. I hope that they don't do something stupid like Ubuntu did with Unity. But, that's why I am here. 8-)
Thank you so much, my friend :)

Hmmm, something stupid like? replace LXDE with Unity 3D for example? or perhaps GNOME3? :P
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

Bob E wrote:I just finished installing Lu 11.10 on my desktop. VERY fast install!

I did forget to mention something in my previous post(s) above. This was the same problem with 11.04 - When running the Live CD, you MUST select "install" instead of "try" to get it to work. If you just want to "try" it, select "install", and then click "quit" on the first install window when it pops up. That way, you can try it live without installing it.
Also, the same shut-down problem after install occurred on my desktop install. (See previous post.)

But after that, everything else works great! :D
I have noticed that the problem with "Try without installation" from Live-CD has actually gone when I used "Live-USB" while I was testing 11.10 Beta 2.
And ... when I tried 11.10 the final release from the Live-CD, "Try without installation" did actually work on my first PC while it did not work on the second. Why? because my CD-Drive is falling on the 2nd one :)

It's an unknown bug by the way.

Shut down problem after installation? what's that?
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

Here is something I stumbled onto with ndiswrapper,

Ndiswrapper installed on livecd but when you install to hard disk ndiswrapper is nowhere to be found. (had to dig up a older buntu disk for the 2 ndiswrapper packages)

other then that 1 little hangup. I still give Lubuntu a 5/5.
People ask me "Why is it free?" and I tell them very slowly "Cause it don't cost you anything."
BossDj

Post by BossDj »

I am hooked with LXDE. It is crazy fast and simple. I am sick of all of the changes in gnome, kde, etc. My computer is too old for that nonsense, anyhow! Stable upgrade "latest version" should be synonymous with "works better" not "crashes more".

I upgraded from 11.04, and it gave me about 3 or four errors of packages unable to install (namely gdebi). Without even testing the result, I did a clean usb install and it went flawlessly.

My only complaint is ubuntu's nasty brown panel theme. I liked the old default a LOT better. I hoped that the old panel image would pop up quickly as old-background.png or something, but I didn't notice it (and it wasn't something I was going to take time to hunt down).

I am also fairly certain that I clicked the box to install restricted extras, but I had to get them manually. I wont cry bug because I probably just didn't click hard enough.

Thanks for such a cool setup for ubuntu.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

amjjawad wrote:
Rex Bouwense wrote:Still no Software Center.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... _.28LSC.29

However, note that LSC is under heavy development and the stable version is not yet release. Most likely it will be ready with 12.04 as per the main developer who is working on it.
The team has done a great job. I hope that they don't do something stupid like Ubuntu did with Unity. But, that's why I am here. 8-)
Thank you so much, my friend :)

Hmmm, something stupid like? replace LXDE with Unity 3D for example? or perhaps GNOME3? :P
There is more than one way around the mulberry bush, I just installed the Ubuntu Software Center and I can get all kinds of good stuff from there easier than the Synaptic Package Manager. Well, maybe it isn't any easier.
Rex
KBD47

Post by KBD47 »

I'm just the opposite--I'd rather use synaptic package manager than the software center, seems much quicker and easier to me :-)
I'm kind of bummed to hear Lubuntu isn't going to have a lts release. I hope that changes. People liking stability would tend to be interested in Lubuntu I'd think, and an lts release would fit right into that.
KBD47
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

KBD47 wrote:I'm just the opposite--I'd rather use synaptic package manager than the software center, seems much quicker and easier to me :-)
I'm kind of bummed to hear Lubuntu isn't going to have a lts release. I hope that changes. People liking stability would tend to be interested in Lubuntu I'd think, and an lts release would fit right into that.
KBD47
I agree. I used LTS in Ubuntu before I found Lubuntu.
Rex
zenchaos

Post by zenchaos »

I've grown very fond of Lubuntu over the last three or four releases. I've installed and run it on various laptops and netbooks, all which fly under the flag of LXDE. I also have a "gaming" rig, set up with all the bells and whistles (AMD Phenom II x6 @2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, 1GB Radeon HD 5770). Unity works okay, though compiz does not get along with my video card, and I've never been a huge proponent of KDE. I installed Lubuntu 11.10 to this machine the other day and have not looked back. It roars on this machine. I simply love this distro. Keep up the good work!