LXPanel items stopped working

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
MrSchism

LXPanel items stopped working

Post by MrSchism »

I just made a bug report regarding LXPanel items that have been failing. The following is what I've included in the bug report to help identify the source of the issue.

To get to the root of the issue, I'll explain when the issue manifested.

In the course of upgrading my OS from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10, my lxpanel items began to fail. First, my nm-applet was non-functional; network-manager-gnome took over and failed to work at first. Upon disabling network-manager-gnome, nm-applet displayed in lxpanel twice. After killing one instance of nm-applet, both instances of nm-applet crashed. It now simply has "Network Status Monitor" functioning.

To make matters worse, the battery monitor has most of its functions failing. When unplugged, it permanently says "100% Charged". When plugged into an AC power source, it shows 100%, but says how much time until charging.

As I'm on a laptop, this is a huge issue.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or solutions, please feel free to give me some advice.

Thank you.
amjjawad

Re: LXPanel items stopped working

Post by amjjawad »

Hello and Welcome :)

Are we talking here about Lubuntu 11.04 upgraded to 11.10 or
MrSchism wrote:In the course of upgrading my OS from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10
Because I know some users may install lubuntu-desktop package on the top of their Ubuntu installation. So please confirm.
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
MrSchism

Post by MrSchism »

Technically, it's Kubuntu on which I installed LXDE.

I just have to figure out what's up with the battery monitor and why my nm-applet is running twice when I have it turned on.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

MrSchism wrote:Technically, it's Kubuntu on which I installed LXDE.

I just have to figure out what's up with the battery monitor and why my nm-applet is running twice when I have it turned on.
LXDE desktop is NOT like Lubuntu Desktop :)

I don't recommend to install a desktop on the top of another existing one but that's me.

Have you tried to remove LXDE Desktop?

Have you considered clean new installation for Lubuntu 11.10?
MrSchism

Post by MrSchism »

I went with the path I did because reinstallation would take far too long and, beyond that, it doesn't solve the issues; it just avoids them. LXDE is an alternative desktop to KDE; it doesn't boot on top of it. I don't have any issues with Openbox or XFCE on this, only LXDE and only since the update to 11.10.

I haven't tried removing LXDE (though that's not a bad idea).
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

MrSchism wrote:I went with the path I did because reinstallation would take far too long and, beyond that, it doesn't solve the issues; it just avoids them. LXDE is an alternative desktop to KDE; it doesn't boot on top of it. I don't have any issues with Openbox or XFCE on this, only LXDE and only since the update to 11.10.

I haven't tried removing LXDE (though that's not a bad idea).
You are right but again, lxde desktop is different than lubuntu-desktop as a package.

What version of LXPanel do you have? the latest is 0.5.8-1ubuntu3 but that's the default one before updating the system. I'm checking that now from Lubuntu 11.10 Live-USB. I haven't use 11.10 yet because I'm so busy with many stuff over here.

Have you tried this from Terminal:

Code: Select all

lxpanelctl restart
MrSchism

Post by MrSchism »

I have tried

lxpanel restart
and the battery monitor still fails half the time. acpi -b gives the correct information.

I did notice that

apt-get remove lxde
fails to remove lxpanel and lxde-core, interestingly enough. I found that out by running the following (exactly as it's written):

sudo apt-get remove lxde
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get purge
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get purge
I ran the second purge for good measure. Upon restarting, I noticed that LXDE was still able to be selected at login and still actually booted. From XFCE, I ran lxpanel and it actually came up (although conflicted due to having a sys-tray already up). I've uninstalled and I'm reinstalling now.

Those results will be posted as soon as I get them.
MrSchism

Post by MrSchism »

I removed lxde and lxde-core (which removed lxpanel), then reinstalled using the -V flag on the install to make sure that I got the newest version. I have confirmed in Muon that I have the 0.5.8-1ubuntu3 version of lxpanel.

My LXDE is up to date. Apparently, I'm not the only one with the battery monitor issue, but I am apparently the only one with the double-instance of nm-applet on startup. I can't seem to figure out where the second instance is in the start up.... or, to that point, where either entry is in the startup. I can't seem to find any startup information regarding nm-applet at all.

So, my first specific request is... where's the file that lists what starts up when LXpanel fires up?
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

I've seen two instances of nm-applet from time to time as I check out various distros. It's definitely not just an Ubuntu thing. The problem seems to occur only when I start out with a desktop other than LXDE and then try to install LXDE. My best guess is that it's due to nm-applet.desktop showing up in /etc/xdg/autostart and some other place that autostarting programs might be listed, like ~/.config/autostart
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
MrSchism

Post by MrSchism »

Okay. Should I find both locations, any advice as to which I should keep and which I should remove?