I Cant Download LXDE Help!

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Mitja

I Cant Download LXDE Help!

Post by Mitja »

Hello!

I came to lxde because of my computer its old it only has 1GB of ram and ubuntu and linux mint runs very slow on it so i heard that LXDE can fix that and give my old computer an little speed.

But when i clicked Download

it showed me this

Why is this happening?

thanks
Mitja
Bob E

Re: I Cant Download LXDE Help!

Post by Bob E »

I don't know about that download problem, but did you try the LXDE versions of Ubuntu and Mint? I'm currently running Lubuntu 11.04, Lubuntu 11.10, and Mint 11 LXDE. They are all equal in performance.

Lubuntu 11.10 is the current LXDE version of Ubuntu, and I can say from my own experience it is great. Here is the download link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... ntu#A11.10

Mint 11 LXDE is a good choice, but if this is your first LXDE, I'd go with Lubuntu to start.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

Hello there,

Welcome to LXDE Forum :)

I have reported the download issue/error to the team and hope someone will take a look and fix whatever has to be fixed :)

Now, may I suggest or advice you something based on my personal experience and not from reading other threads or reviews?

Go for Fresh New Lubuntu Installation, period.

Whatever you need, you may find it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755
It's my thread on Ubuntu Forum.
If you couldn't find what you are looking for, no matter what, please let me know.

To directly answer your question, usually, you are not following the correct approach IMHO. LXDE is NOT an Operating System, it's a Desktop Environment. Having that said, you will need an OS. If you don't like my idea of a Fresh New Lubuntu Installation, then you can install LXDE Desktop Package form Synaptic OR Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install lxde
But please, note that, installing LXDE or even Lubuntu Desktop Package (lubuntu-desktop) is NOT like installing Lubuntu normally. Based on my own experience and tests.

As my friend suggested, Lubuntu would be a great choice but if you prefer another choices, there are:
Mint
Fedora
Debian
and others

For me, as always, I'm a fan of Lubuntu.

If you need more help, please let me know :)
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

Bob E wrote:I don't know about that download problem, but did you try the LXDE versions of Ubuntu and Mint? I'm currently running Lubuntu 11.04, Lubuntu 11.10, and Mint 11 LXDE. They are all equal in performance.
Hi my friend ;)

Just to share with you my personal opinion that is based on many tests, Lubuntu and Linux Mint LXDE are not really equal in performance. Mint LXDE is a bit slower and even require more RAM. I have tested that recently with SWAP OFF so everything was clear.

:)
Mint 11 LXDE is a good choice, but if this is your first LXDE, I'd go with Lubuntu to start.
+1
Couldn't agree more, you know me ;)
Mitja

Post by Mitja »

amjjawad wrote:Hello there,

Welcome to LXDE Forum :)

I have reported the download issue/error to the team and hope someone will take a look and fix whatever has to be fixed :)

Now, may I suggest or advice you something based on my personal experience and not from reading other threads or reviews?

Go for Fresh New Lubuntu Installation, period.

Whatever you need, you may find it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755
It's my thread on Ubuntu Forum.
If you couldn't find what you are looking for, no matter what, please let me know.

To directly answer your question, usually, you are not following the correct approach IMHO. LXDE is NOT an Operating System, it's a Desktop Environment. Having that said, you will need an OS. If you don't like my idea of a Fresh New Lubuntu Installation, then you can install LXDE Desktop Package form Synaptic OR Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install lxde
But please, note that, installing LXDE or even Lubuntu Desktop Package (lubuntu-desktop) is NOT like installing Lubuntu normally. Based on my own experience and tests.

As my friend suggested, Lubuntu would be a great choice but if you prefer another choices, there are:
Mint
Fedora
Debian
and others

For me, as always, I'm a fan of Lubuntu.

If you need more help, please let me know :)
i downloaded lubuntu but it wasnt enothe "sexy" beacuse i look in awesome looks and speed at os lubuntu just had speed im currently on fedora not bad the speed is quite good the disk is only reporting bad sectors but im going to try to fix it im going to try pear OS this week.

i personaly started to look in small fast distros beacuse an friend that has an realy old computer (378) mb so i give her mint 11 but the computer is way to slow so now im thinking of xubuntu (you know girls xubuntu is even to fancy for me), but i think that lxde release will be much better for her computer
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

Mitja wrote:i downloaded lubuntu but it wasnt enothe "sexy" beacuse i look in awesome looks and speed at os lubuntu just had speed im currently on fedora not bad the speed is quite good the disk is only reporting bad sectors but im going to try to fix it im going to try pear OS this week.

i personaly started to look in small fast distros beacuse an friend that has an realy old computer (378) mb so i give her mint 11 but the computer is way to slow so now im thinking of xubuntu (you know girls xubuntu is even to fancy for me), but i think that lxde release will be much better for her computer
I'm afraid I did not understand what you mean? sorry!
Mitja

Post by Mitja »

amjjawad wrote:
Mitja wrote:i downloaded lubuntu but it wasnt enothe "sexy" beacuse i look in awesome looks and speed at os lubuntu just had speed im currently on fedora not bad the speed is quite good the disk is only reporting bad sectors but im going to try to fix it im going to try pear OS this week.

I'm afraid I did not understand what you mean? sorry!
ah thanks ok i was in a hurry when i writed that repley :roll:
i meant that : i started to have interest in lightweight linux distros when an friend asked me to install an new OS on her old computer.

and that ive tried lubuntu but i wasnt happy with it
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

Mitja wrote:ah thanks ok i was in a hurry when i writed that repley :roll:
It's ok :)
i meant that : i started to have interest in lightweight linux distros when an friend asked me to install an new OS on her old computer.

and that ive tried lubuntu but i wasnt happy with it
Well, I just checked your Topic/Thread again and there is no where you mentioned that you have tried Lubuntu!

Ok, what that you didn't like in Lubuntu? perhaps I can help? :)
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Mitja wrote:i downloaded lubuntu but it wasnt enothe "sexy" beacuse i look in awesome looks and speed at os lubuntu just had speed
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
@amjjwad - The OP did say he tried Lubuntu. He, or the woman he is helping, likes how fast it is, but does not like the way it looks.

@Mitia - If you want a light, fast, and "sexy" looking distro for her old computer, I would recommend Bodhi Linux. It only requires 128mb of RAM, is really fast, and has a lot of eye-candy she will like.

Here is a video of how it looks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwnt4HNy39c
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Nice video. There is certainly a lot of eye candy. I have never even tried the OS. Might be something to try if I ever get too frustrated with Lubuntu. Does it have the support in the way of forums? That could be a problem. LXDE, although the forum membership is small and the responses are very slow coming, at least has a back up if you are using Lubuntu for example. The Ubuntu forums has a very dedicated group of folks that are more than willing to help.
Rex