How to set system wide background?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
littlesandra88

How to set system wide background?

Post by littlesandra88 »

Hi everybody =)

I would like to set a system wide solid colour background, but I can't figure out how to do this.

If I do

Code: Select all

echo 'xsetroot -solid "#505075"' > /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart.sh
then I still get the default background image.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Hugs,
Sandra
Rex Bouwense

Re: How to set system wide background?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome Sandra. Are you using Lubuntu? I ask because what I am going to tell you works in Lubuntu 11.10. Other LXDE may be slightly different.
Right click on your desktop.
Choose desktop preferences.
Choose background color and pick the color that you want for your background.
Immediately below background color is wallpaper mode. Choose it and then click on Fill with background color only.
Rex
littlesandra88

Post by littlesandra88 »

Hi Rex Bouwense,

Thank you very much =)

I am using Ubuntu 11.10, and I can change the wallpaper and change the background colour like you describe.

The problem is that I can't make it so it is the default for all users, when they log in for the first time.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

littlesandra88 wrote:I am using Ubuntu 11.10
I think you mean Lubuntu 11.10 ;)

By the way, Hello and Welcome to LXDE Forum :)
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Sorry, I misunderstood and since I am the sole user, That works for me. Perhaps there is someone else that can provide the answer that you are looking for. Out of curiosity, since you have Ubuntu 11.10, did you just download the LXDE desktop?
Rex
littlesandra88

Post by littlesandra88 »

Rex Bouwense wrote:Sorry, I misunderstood and since I am the sole user, That works for me. Perhaps there is someone else that can provide the answer that you are looking for. Out of curiosity, since you have Ubuntu 11.10, did you just download the LXDE desktop?
Yes, it was very easy. Just

apt-get install lxde
I am temped to just edit /usr/share/lxde/pcmanfm/LXDE.conf to make it system wide =)
littlesandra88

Post by littlesandra88 »

It actually is a regular Ubuntu 11.10 I use, where I have just installed LXDE.
Thanks =)
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Yes, I believe that also gives you the option of logging into either desktop (Unity or LXDE). I could be wrong about that. I was chased away from Ubuntu by Unity but managed to stay in the family with Lubuntu. It is lean and very light and for my purposes does everything that I want it to do. There are bugs but in most cases there are work arounds. If you have not been on the Ubuntu Forums there are a great group of folks that are on there to assist with problems.
Rex
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

littlesandra88 wrote:
It actually is a regular Ubuntu 11.10 I use, where I have just installed LXDE.
Thanks =)
You welcome!

By the way, installing LXDE Package or even Lubuntu Desktop

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
is NOT like installing Lubuntu (download the ISO, Check MD5SUM, Create the LiveCD or Live USB and then install). This is based on my experience and other Lubuntu Members share the same opinion.

It's hard to talk about Lubuntu without mentioning LXDE because, at least, the developers of both teams are working together. In fact, LXDE has started 2 years before Lubuntu if my math is correct :)

I have explained that already on another topic that you can find on the General Forum. I don't mind to explain it again. I'd advise to go for Lubuntu Clean Installation on USB Drive or another HDD if you don't want to mess with your current system.

On my signature, Lubuntu One Stop Thread, you'll find many guides, one of them is HOWTO Install Lubuntu on 4GB USB Drive.

Enjoy and have fun!
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

I logged out from Lubuntu Session (Lubuntu 11.10 here) and logged in to LXDE Session, just to make sure everything is the same and indeed, it's the same whether you do it from LXDE or Lubunut Session. See attached.
Screenshot.png
(561.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
But, I'm not 100% sure whether it will be the same after installing LXDE Package in Ubuntu 11.10. I don't have 11.10 on this machine but I do have 10.04.3 and I guess I'll give it a go (for testing purposes ONLY as I never do that - install another DE on any system) but not at the moment, I have a test to finish, write the result on my blog and publish that. After that, I'll be able to do whatever I want :)