which distribution with lxde

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
fruttosio

which distribution with lxde

Post by fruttosio »

I used xubuntu but now i want change to lxde e i want to know which dist is better with lxde. I am considering for the moment: lubuntu, opensuse with lxde and debian with lxde.
Rex Bouwense

Re: which distribution with lxde

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I have been using Lubuntu on an ASUS 1000H netbook for several months now and am extremely satisfied with the performance. Definitely try it out. There is a group of folks on Ubuntu forums that specialize in Lubuntu and are more than willing to provide any assistance that you many require. And of course there are these forums which do provide some very good information.

Oh yes, you might want to try Linux Mint with LXDE.
Rex
fruttosio

Post by fruttosio »

fruttosio wrote:Oh yes, you might want to try Linux Mint with LXDE.
which are the difference from lubuntu?
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

I currently have Lubuntu 11.10 and Linux Mint 11 LXDE as a dual-boot on a netbook and Lubuntu 11.04 on a desktop. Lubuntu and Mint 11 LXDE are both at the top of the list of good, well built, stable, and fast running LXDE distros.

I've tried a lot of others (OpenSuse LXDE, Zorin LXDE, UE 3.0, Sabayon LXDE, etc.) and they are quite disappointing compared to Lubuntu and LM.

BUT...you should try the ones you are interested in for yourself. I'll bet you will come to the same decision about Lubuntu and Mint. ;)
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Check out the distros yourself. People have different uses for their computer so I can only tell my story. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu. I tried it. It is quite good. I am using Lubuntu and I am quite content with it.
Rex
piotreks

Post by piotreks »

Rex Bouwense wrote:Check out the distros yourself.
This is a very good suggestion.
Most, if not all, distros provide a live disk which you can boot without having to install on the hard drive.
This will give you the option of running through your usual tasks and comparing yourself.
I'm running Fedora with LXDE, have run into a few issues, but no show-stoppers.
I think LXDE has an incredible amount of potential and will take a chunk of the 'linux desktop' users now that GNOME got the Vista virus.

P
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

I think Fedora with LXDE is better (than Fedora with Gnome shell)
I think Ubuntu with LXDE is better (than Ubuntu with Unity)
I think Linux Mint with LXDE is very nice (but Cinnamon looks interesting)

I think you should try various distros until you find one you like
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
M_Mynaardt

Post by M_Mynaardt »

I'm using Lubuntu 11.10 on my laptop.

No complaints, really.

I need to sort out a few "tweaks" for my own likes, but that's not a big deal.
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

LXDE is your computer's Friend!
Always trust LXDE!
mick823

Post by mick823 »

Lubuntu 11.10 is my choice and I have tried a bunch of them. A pure LXDE without all of the gnome 2 garbage you have left over when installing LXDE over another *buntu. The speed differential on a netbook is amazing when you compare Win7 and Lubuntu running on the same machine. WIn7 uses over half of my 2 GB Ram at idle and Lubuntu uses about 150 MB. Bootup on Win7 about 2.5 minutes before the system can be used. Lubuntu less than a minute. Firefox is faster on Lubuntu than Win7 when it comes to loading and switching pages. If you got suckered in to the netbook craze like I did and you are not happy with the Win7 performance you will be in for a nice surprise with Lubuntu.

In my opinion the only 3 things LXDE needs to be a first class OS is a GUI interface for automatically changing the wallpaper on a timed schedule, A GUI interface for editing the applications menu and a Control Center (lubuntu-control-center) that works with the 11.10 version. I have the wallpaper changing via a script I found here on the forum and the Lxmed and LxMenuEditor menu editors are not very user friendly.
M_Mynaardt

Post by M_Mynaardt »

mick823 wrote:Lubuntu 11.10 is my choice and I have tried a bunch of them. A pure LXDE without all of the gnome 2 garbage you have left over when installing LXDE over another *buntu. The speed differential on a netbook is amazing when you compare Win7 and Lubuntu running on the same machine. WIn7 uses over half of my 2 GB Ram at idle and Lubuntu uses about 150 MB. Bootup on Win7 about 2.5 minutes before the system can be used. Lubuntu less than a minute. Firefox is faster on Lubuntu than Win7 when it comes to loading and switching pages. If you got suckered in to the netbook craze like I did and you are not happy with the Win7 performance you will be in for a nice surprise with Lubuntu.

In my opinion the only 3 things LXDE needs to be a first class OS is a GUI interface for automatically changing the wallpaper on a timed schedule, A GUI interface for editing the applications menu and a Control Center (lubuntu-control-center) that works with the 11.10 version. I have the wallpaper changing via a script I found here on the forum and the Lxmed and LxMenuEditor menu editors are not very user friendly.
Don't I know it! Huge difference between starting Linux and "M$ Windoze". I have an older Toshiba laptop with a 500 GB hybrid drive in it and under Lubuntu it's up and at `em in less than 30 seconds. And that includes the time it takes me to log in with my user ID.

My laptop originally ran on vista (gag-gag, choke-choke); that took up 1.2 of the the 1.5 GB RAM. Like your machine, Lubuntu takes up about 150-160 MB RAM. And everything runs with blinding speed compared to M$ Window$.

Where's that wallpaper changing script? That sounds cool...
Last edited by M_Mynaardt on Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

LXDE is your computer's Friend!
Always trust LXDE!