[SOLVED] Keyboard Layout Switching in Lubuntu

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
M_Mynaardt

[SOLVED] Keyboard Layout Switching in Lubuntu

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Hi there!

I've got Lubuntu 11.10 installed on my laptop and I've almost got things sorted out for switching keyboard layouts.

First thing is; I've put the Keyboard Switcher applet on the main panel, so I can see what keyboard layout is selected. So far so good. But I need to be able to switch around between keyboard layouts on occasion.

I followed some advice and threads in Ubuntu forums. I found the following that mostly works:

Code: Select all

:~$ setxkbmap -layout "us,gr,es,epo" -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
Now, when I do that, I can press Alt-Shift, or click on the Keyboard Switcher Applet, and the keyboard layout changes just fine, between US English ("us"), Modern Greek ("gr"), Spanish ("es"), and Esperanto ("epo"). But there's just a couple of little tweaks I'm looking for.

I would like to know what the layout codes for Canadian English and Polytonic Greek are. I realize that the Canadian English layout is exactly the same as the American English keyboard layout; but I just want to see the Canadian flag (as I am a 'Canuck') on the Keyboard Layout Applet on the main panel. I also want the Polytonic Greek layout, because I like to study ancient Greek, with it's multitude of accent marks, that the modern Greek keyboard layout lacks.

If someone could tell me how to get those two things happening, I'd be ever so grateful! :)

It also wouldn't hurt if someone could tell me a keyboard layout code for the setxkbmap command that would allow me to type Old English, with the "eth" and "thorn" letters that have long been out of use. I'm guessing that the Icelandic keyboard layout would work for that, but I don't know what that code is.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me!
:D
Last edited by M_Mynaardt on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

LXDE is your computer's Friend!
Always trust LXDE!
M_Mynaardt

Re: Keyboard Layout Switching in Lubuntu (almost there)

Post by M_Mynaardt »

RIGHT! I finally got this one figured out!

Well, not by myself, obviously. I got the help I needed here; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1896357

I needed to use the -variant option in setxkbmap to get just the right results I wanted.

So, as a model for anyone else who might need this sort of thing, I ended up with this code:

Code: Select all

:~$ setxkbmap -layout "ca,gr,epo,es" -variant "eng,polytonic, ," -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
This will cycle through the keyboards in this order: Canadian English, Spanish, Esperanto, and Polytonic Greek.

For some strange reason, the keyboards didn't cycle through in an obvious order (1,2,3,4), but a little bit odd (1,4,3,2). But that's not a big deal, I figure.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there! I know it was helpful for me!
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

LXDE is your computer's Friend!
Always trust LXDE!
slalabizmy

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard Layout Switching in Lubuntu

Post by slalabizmy »

Useful to me..
M_Mynaardt

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard Layout Switching in Lubuntu

Post by M_Mynaardt »

slalabizmy wrote:Useful to me..
Right on!