lxde menu : wine entry is gone

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
martin.new

lxde menu : wine entry is gone

Post by martin.new »

hi folks, my name is martin, and i just recently switched to linux because my win xp died on me and i thought its time to go to linux :)

i am using mint 11 lxde (which i very like, i thinks its an awesome system/combo).

yesterday i stumbled around a wierd problem.

i have wine installed and got an menu entry called wine, and then "in" it the wine typical "things" like "browse c, programs" and so on.

well since yesterday this entry is gone.

wine is still installed on my system, i can start the programs trough the file system in .wine, just the entry is gone.

the last things i did where that i installed a game, to the moon, which is a small rpg based on rpgmaker, and i did a wine update to the version 1.3.36 from eh the last newest i think that was 1.3.35?

i dont know "when" exectly the entry was gone, but as far as i remember that where the last things i did with wine before the entry where gone.

i logged out and changed the desktop enviroment to gnome, and in that menu the wine entry is still there.

i have now idea if its an issue with lxde, oder wine, i tried google but found nothing "new" for that problem.

when i start the tool lxde main menu editor there is on the left side no wine entry, all wine "things" are in the "other" list, which i dont have in my menu. also the wine "things" are in orange color, except to all other which are green.

i'll upload a pic of that, maybe it helps to understand what i mean :)

does anyone know of that problem and could provide me with some help?

thanks in advance

martin

ps:
i am from austria so please excuse my english.
Attachments
6IP0d.png
(248.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Bob E

Re: lxde menu : wine entry is gone

Post by Bob E »

Hi martin.new.

Just to get a little more information, open your file manager and go to /usr/share/applications and see if the menu item you are looking for is still listed there.

-----------

Awesome desktop!
I wish I could see it all!
martin.new

Post by martin.new »

hi, i made a screenshot of the folder, and yes, the wine apps are there, like winetricks, wineconfig, the installed windows programs are in a different folder.

i copy whats inside the winetricks.desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Winetricks
Comment=Install applications on Wine
Exec=winetricks
Terminal=false
Icon=wine-winetricks
Type=Application
Categories=Wine;

as you can see, there is the category set, but it isnt showing in the menu "bar".

is your "awesome desktop" part of your signature or is it meant for me? :D
if yes..here you go :D

http://i.imgur.com/1vxEm.png
and
http://i.imgur.com/XPdPT.jpg
Attachments
screen02.png
(155.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

OK, it's been a while. I going to try a few things and see if I can remember how to get the icon back into the menu. I'll let you know what happens.

Yes, I was commenting on your desktop. Cool! Thanks for the share. Also, where did you get that icon theme? (The red "folder looking" desktop icons.)
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

OK. I don't have WINE, but I made a WINE folder, then made a couple of "test" items to try it.

In your Menu Editor, click on New Menu.
Then add the name (WINE) and comment (Windows Emulator)
Click OK.

Then, highlight that folder and click New Item. Here it is the same EXCEPT you have to know the command line. (The command line in the .desktop you have above is: winetricks)

Basicly, for the test, I just made 2 launchers that I knew from memory. (One to open the DVD drive door the other to close it.) They both work perfectly from the main menu.

I don't know if this gets you any closer to fixing your problem, but it's a start.

Hope it helps.

[There is 2 attachments]
Attachments
WINE 01.png
(76.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
WINE 02.jpg
WINE 02.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 11363 times
martin.new

Post by martin.new »

wow, thanks, i think that helps but...where did you get your version of lxmed????

mine doesnt have the "new menu" button! i only can click on new item.

i found lxmed on scourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxmed/

i tried the software manager from mint, nothing found, also synaptiks doesnt find lxmed, and the version from scoureforge doesnt have the new menu thing....

the icon theme is from the bundle "any color you like", found here:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=102435
or here:
http://pobtott.deviantart.com/art/Any-C ... -175624910

you can gave the icons, as the name says, any color you like, also some nice "effects, like the transparent/outline thing i did, you also have some variation in icons to choose from, everything manageable trough a menu/little tool.

my icons are:
filter: outline
gradient: linear
folder: acyl1
navigation: moblin

have fun tweaking your icons :D
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

I'm actually working off of Ultimate Edition Lite 3.0 and it came with the menu editor installed. It's the same one on the Mint main editions. For some reason, they don't put it on Mint LXDE. Lubuntu doesn't have it either. (I've got 3 different LXDE distros: Mint 11 LXDE, Lubuntu 11.04 and 11.10, and Ultimate Edition Lite 3.0, and one E17 Enlightenment: Bodhi Linux.)

Thanks for the links for the icons! I'm going to look at them next.
martin.new

Post by martin.new »

what? why are they doing this?

do you have any idea where i could get/download link the "full" version of lxmed?

edit:

could you please give me your version number of lxmed?

mine is
20110717-beta
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

It's not lxmed. Go into synaptic and search "alacarte". Then click on "get screenshot" and you will see it looks just like the one I'm using...the same one on the Mint main editions.

It should install from synaptic without any trouble, but I don't know if it requires any further configuration. (Those Ultimate Edition guys may have already tweeked it.) If you install it and it doesn't show up in the menu, you can try launching it from /usr/share/applications by double clicking on it just to make sure it works.

I haven't tried it on my Mint 11 LXDE or Lubuntu...yet. ;)
martin.new

Post by martin.new »

even from the original source of lxmed ican only get "my" version without the "add menu" entry...

http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

edit:

i will try alacarte but afaik its for gnome...