Increase width of window scrollbar

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Gerroo
Location: Always sunny Kingdom of Bahrain http://g.co/maps/5b6pm

Increase width of window scrollbar

Post by Gerroo »

Hello and geetings from Bahrain,
I'm new to the forum and quite fresh to Linux plus English is not my mouther toung. Kindly forgive related issues. Imrpovement comments are welcome.

Here is my challenge:
I installed Lubuntu with LXDE on a Acer Iconia Tab W500 and I got many things to work.
One thing I could not find out is how to increase the size/width of the window scrollbar at the right side.
Is it hidden in the Theme, in Openbox, in X11 or where can I tweak that ???
It is just far to narrow to use with the finger (at least with mine).
To make the window frame thicker would also be nice. Would make the window easyer to resize.
Please let me know if you have a idea. Thanks.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Increase width of window scrollbar

Post by Rex Bouwense »

After I read your post, I did some experiments. I cannot find anywhere that you can change the width of the scroll bar. However, I am still at a loss why you would want to do that. You can always use the up & down arrows to scroll up or down. If you are using a mouse with a center wheel you can use that to scroll up or down. Is there something that you want to do that requires a wider scroll bar?
Rex
Gerroo
Location: Always sunny Kingdom of Bahrain http://g.co/maps/5b6pm

Post by Gerroo »

I can connect a mouse and a keyboard to the tablet but I would like to use it without them, with my fingers. I got easystroke to work so i think a can acheive my goal with a gesture and a script. A wider scrollbar would be nicer. Thanks for the effort looking.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Glad you got a work around and I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Enjoy.
Rex
David

Post by David »

Hi. I'm new in lxde, I've just installed lubuntu 12.04, but I can do this in unity and I think this tweak is the same for both desktops: you have to edit your gtkrc theme file, in my case Lubuntu-default

sudo gedit /usr/share/themes/Lubuntu-default/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

and raise (or add) GtkScrollbar::slider-width = 25 and GtkScrollbar::min-slider-length = 80. It works for me, please confirm me if it works for you.

PD: I wrote a detailed howto tweaking for tablets (for ubuntu 11.10 with unity) in ubuntutablet.blogspot.com, I'll try to adapt all the tweaks to lubuntu.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Window border width appears to be a function of the window theme. To see which theme you are using, check OpenboxConfigurationManager in Preferences. To change the geometrical parameters (for example, I changed border width from 1 to 8 for my theme) for a theme, edit /usr/share/themes/.../openbox-3/themere as root. Replace ... with your theme name. This is for an after market LXDE install. Path may be a little different for an inside distribution install since distros like putting their names on folders.
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

Question, as I don't currently have a Lubuntu or ...buntu+openbox installation: Is the file
/usr/share/themes/<theme-name>/openbox-3/themere or
/usr/share/themes/<theme-name>/openbox-3/themerc as in Fedora?
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Sorry, themerc.
davekimble

Post by davekimble »

On Lubuntu 13.04 using Lubuntu-default theme this worked for me:
sudo leafpad /usr/share/themes/Lubuntu-default/gtk-2.0/scrollbar.rc
Edit: GtkRange::slider-width = 20
Logout
Login

This overrides Firefox and Thunderbird's scrollbars, but not Kate, Gnumeric.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Great! I saw this on the Ubuntu forums and I remembered the thread here but you got it. Looking at the names you are probably the same poster. By the way welcome to the lxde forums. We are a small forum and can use all the members and help that we can get.
Rex