Need to Disable All Clicking on Desktop

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
jakfish

Need to Disable All Clicking on Desktop

Post by jakfish »

Lubuntu 12.04 on Lenovo S10-3t netbook.

This pertains to a conky bug, and I'll try not to bore people with the problem; but I would welcome a solution.

To summarize: in .conky.rc, using "own_window_type desktop" allows me to use LXDE's "minimize all windows" and keep conky always visible on the desktop. But if I click on the desktop, conky disappears, and I have to kill conky and restart it.

Since I have nothing on my desktop except conky and rainlendar calendar (rainlendar is unaffected by these troubles), I would like the desktop to be "unclickable"

Is that possible, and if so, could I have some suggestions with how to go about it?

Many thanks,
Jake
jakfish

Re: Need to Disable All Clicking on Desktop

Post by jakfish »

This is the workaround for running an always-visible conky with LXDE on an icon-less desktop. Make this an executable script in an autostart directory:

sleep 3
killall pcmanfm
sleep 3 && conky ;

The initial sleep 3 is impt b/c it allows the desktop to establish itself. Once pcmanfm is killed (this has no effect on the actual file manager, which continues to work without complaint), conky starts.

Users can click on the desktop and conky remains visible. Users can click on "minimize all windows" and conky remains visible.

Whew,
Jake
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I have not used Conky on an lxde system. Out of curiosity, is it resouce heavy?
Rex
jakfish

Post by jakfish »

Conky's very light, and b/c it can tell you so much about the system, you can get rid of most monitoring apps on the tray. Conky's a big reason why I can keep my desktop icon-free.

Jake