Open folder in terminal not working properly

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
zomgwhat

Open folder in terminal not working properly

Post by zomgwhat »

Hi all,
I just installed LXDE and it's really nice. I've dual booted default Ubuntu 12.04 with windows 7, and then I installed LXDE from the software center. It's running really nicely except one thing - when I'm browsing a folder and want to open the terminal from that folder, I press F4 and the terminal opens fine - but there is nowhere to enter anything. It's just an empty black window with no command line. This is in contrast to if I load from application bar -> other -> terminal, and then I can type commands fine. However, the F4 shortcut is one i use quite a lot so I'd like to fix it! Thanks
Rex Bouwense

Re: Open folder in terminal not working properly

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Try Ctrl+Alt +T. That shortcut will get you a terminal.
Rex
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Different distributions may have different keybindings. I use super + t for mine. In LXDE you can edit keybindings by editing the rc.xml or lxde-rc.xml files located in /etc/xdg/openbox, /usr/share/lxde/openbox and ~/.config/openbox . See http://lxlinux.com/#3 for more details.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

OK. Sorry I misread your post and after reading it again discovered that you wanted to open the terminal from the open file (whatever that file might be). If you go to tools on top and choose open current file in terminal, do you get the same result as using the short cut F4?
Rex
lostson

Post by lostson »

I assume you are using pcmanfm and right clicking on a folder and then selecting Open in Terminal. When I do this I cannot re-produce the error you describe, what version of pcmanfm and lxterminal or what terminal are you using?
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I cannot reproduce the error either (using PCManFM 1.0.1 and LXterminal 0.1.11) but I am using pure Lubuntu. Not sure if that should make any difference.
Rex
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I use pcmanfm 0.9.10 in LXDE on Mint Debian, Unofficial Mint Debian and Crunchbang. f4 works correctly in all of these. You might check to see if you have the following libraries installed:
libc6, libcairo2, libfm-gtk-bin, libfm-gtk1, libfm1, libglib2.0-0, libgtk2.0-0, libpango1.0-0, libx11-6, libatk1.0-0, libdbus-1-3, libdbus-glib-1-2, libfontconfig1, libfreetype6, libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0,
libhal-storage1, libhal1, libmenu-cache1, libstartup-notification0. Or, perhaps easier, just reinstall pcmanfm 0.9.10, or later.

Also, go to pcmanfm upper pane and follow: Edit>Preferences>Advanced, and be sure Terminal emulator: x-terminal-emulator %s; Switch User Command: gksu %s .
zomgwhat

Post by zomgwhat »

hmmm thanks guys for the sugestions. In the end I had installed lubuntu-desktop - the F4 behaviour is fine , and overall I prefer it to LXDE. must have been a problem with my packages or which terminal pcmanfm had set to default or something.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Curious since Lubuntu uses lxde. Anyway, glad that things worked out for you. Sometimes it is just a matter or re-installing. I've been using Lubuntu (pure) exclusively for years and love it.
Rex