Know what I want, not sure how to accomplish it

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
rk4262

Know what I want, not sure how to accomplish it

Post by rk4262 »

I have an older Acer laptop, that still works great, except the screen has turned into a blurry rainbow. That can be bypassed using an external monitor. My laptop quit shortly after my 8 y/o's desktop w/Vista quit. However the monitor still works, we were letting him use that pc to play some educational DVD's, I am now installing Lubuntu, with Edubuntu-primary onto the laptop, alongside Windows 7. Couple of things to remember, we adopted him several years ago, his "mother" is a crack-whore literaly, so he is rather far behind where he needs to be, but is catching up quickly and will be in the next year/year and a half, if I can keep him working. I am disabled, and getting up to go over and hover at his worktable is just not possible, that's why I want to access remotely, but I want to keep him from getting on the internet with a browser. This way he can still use his DVD's, but also use the Edubuntu software. Here is what I would like to do,

1. Just close the lid on the laptop, and run off the external monitor, & external mouse/keyboard, just more room that way. I just need to find software that will allow the laptop to stay active after the lid is closed, using the external as the monitor. I want to say the Zorin I was using before my laptop died, you could attach an external, and set the laptop to stay awake with the lid closed. But I have to wait until I can re-install, after my new laptop arrives, and I'll probably go back with KDE

2. I would like to password the Firefox/or other browser, allowing the network to stay active so that I can remote desktop in to watch what he's doing, &/or help when needed. He will be on the other side of the room directly in front of my chair, so I can see him, I just need access to his machine to help him.

3.I had something else in mind when I started posting this, but I have forgot what it was, so I'll be getting back to you with it later.

If anyone can help me in any way, I would appreciate it. I mean, I don't have anything that I just insist has to happen a certain way, I have managed to install Lubuntu/Edubuntu, on the laptop, I'm just working on finding the right answers, but if I need to change something I can, but putting laptop, either under his desk is really the best thing I can do to put the monitor, keyboard, and mouse on the small little table.