VRC-1100 remote control w/Kodi.. sadness & despair

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
ronbaby

VRC-1100 remote control w/Kodi.. sadness & despair

Post by ronbaby »

This problem has been driving me bonkers... and continues to do so.

In a nutshell, I have a shiny new Ordoid-C1 (ARM_based Amlogic S805) and I've flashed the latest and greatest OS release (v.12) from the manufacturer (Hardkernel) onto the microSDHC card I'm using with the board. Mostly, everything so far seems to work OK, but I am trying to use the thing (Odroid-C1) in conjunction with my trusty VRC-1100 remote control (and associated USB IR receiver dongle) to control XBMC/Kodi.

The frustrating thing is that the remote works mostly, but a few critical buttons (e.g. STOP, NEXT) just do nothing.

I've already researched this problem, up, down, left, right, and sideways, but I still can't get it to work. Here's why...

First, I worked to make sure that I could even get this remote working OK to control Kodi under stock Ubuntu 14.04.1 on an x86-based desktop system. There I encountered the exact same problem... most buttons work, but not the STOP button, the NEXT button, and perhaps a few others. (I didn't try every single button.) After researching this problem at some length (and going down at least one blind alley) I learned that the problem, on stock Ubuntu 14.04.1, is/was that Unity was getting in the way, and was stealing some of the key press events before they could even make it to Kodi. Someone in the XBMC/Kodi forums had suggested solving this by going System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Sound and Media (in stock Ubuntu 14.x) and then disabling each of the relevant shortcuts by selecting them and then pressing backspace. I tried that on my x86 desktop system which was running stock Ubuntu 14.04.1 and it worked perfectly. Now I just need to work out how to do the equivalent thing on Lubuntu, which is what the officical Linux port for the Odroid-C1 is, apparently, based on.

I have really tried, but I'm not able to figure out what the equivalent steps are for Lubuntu. So I'm asking (and begging, pleading and cajoling) for help.

In the following thread:

http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=457

user anodyne pointed out that the file which probably needed to be edited (to eliminate the problematic keyboard bindings) was this one, in the case of the odroid board:

/home/odroid/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml

I successfully edited that file and removed the entire <keyboard>... </keyboard> section and then rebooted my Odroid-C1. Alas, that seems to have made no difference at all. The problem is still present and unchanged... most of the VRC-1100 remote keys work, but the exact same critical ones still don't.

I'm at a total loss for what to try next. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.