Remove icons from system tray

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
psychonaut25

Remove icons from system tray

Post by psychonaut25 »

Hi, new user here. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I did search the forums before posting, with no luck.

I'm running Lubuntu on an Asus EeePC 900 and for some reason the native network manager fails to decrypt the WPA key for my home Wi-Fi network, and after a lengthy attempt at authenticating I more often than not get a "bad password" error despite the password being correct (it occasionally does connect, without my having to re-type the password). I had this same problem back when I was running Ubuntu with Gnome on this same netbook, so I think it's something inherent to the hardware of the netbook itself. Seems to work fine on any other Wi-Fi networks aside from my home one, but I digress...

So in both cases (on Ubuntu/Gnome and Lubuntu/LXDE) I've had far better luck with WICD network manager. However, my LXDE system tray now shows both icons; one for the relatively-useless native network manager and one for WICD. Sometimes the WICD icon will show a connection whereas the native one will show the disconnected icon... other times, they will both show up as connected. When I go to edit the panel preferences, under panel applets, the "edit" icon for "system tray" is grayed out.

How can I remove the icon for the native network manager from the system tray, without removing the system tray altogether (i.e. without removing the icon for WICD)?

Thanks