How restore default LXDE's settings?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
pmam

How restore default LXDE's settings?

Post by pmam »

I did some changes in settings of Lxde and it went wrong...
Please advise how can restore the original settings?
I tried to unmerge and re-emerge again but wrong settings remains :cry:
Or - How to copy configuration from other machine?
Bob E

Re: How restore default LXDE's settings?

Post by Bob E »

Hi pmam. What settings did you change?

If you changed some config files, you can boot the live cd (or usb if you used that method) and copy the original config files from the cd and paste them where they belong on your hard install, then reboot into your hard install and see if everything is back to normal.
pmam

Post by pmam »

Bob E Hi,

It is a new installation of Gentoo, and just played with the panel - removed panel and items -
and suddenly it went wrong and I can not return to the default settings.
I did not change the config files themself, and do not know what config file is responsible to what appearcace...
So, please advise how to do one of the following ways:
Restore the original defualt settings.
Copy settings from a similar machine - Please note the exact directories/files to copy.
Remove LXDE and re-install it again - When I did it - The new installation had the same wrong settings -
So please advise how to remove all old settings before new installation?

BTW: Is there an auto spelling? How to get notify, in general, for all reply posts.

Thanks
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Sorry pmam, I am unfamiliar with the Gentoo OS, I'm more familiar with Debian and Ubuntu systems.

Hopefully someone here with Gentoo experience will be able to help you. You might also consider asking for help on the Gentoo forum. http://forums.gentoo.org/
pmam

Post by pmam »

Bob E,

I already have asked at Gentoo's forum...
My request is simple, and it does not much depend on OS -
Where LXDE put the settings? ie: if I want to copy settings from one machine to another - what directories/files need to be copied?
You can answer according Debian/Ubuntu, and I will adjust to Gentoo.

Thanks
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

pmam wrote:it does not much depend on OS
Actually it does matter. For example, another person on this forum was having a problem on Lubuntu, which is Ubuntu LXDE, and I have Siduction LXDE, which is Debian. Even though we both have the same panel with the same features, the config files are completely different and in completely different locations on each system. So, like I said, I am not familiar with Gentoo and how system files are distributed within the system. I can't tell you what to look for, where to look, and what to change on your system because I don't know anything about Gentoo.

Also, only you know which setting you changed. You need to describe exactly what you did to cause the problem you are having for someone to know what type of action will help to fix the problem.

As a last resort, you could always do a complete re-install of the OS.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I am unfortunately in the same situation that Bob E is in. I know nothing about Gentoo. That being said, settings for the LXPanel where they may be stored in a different place should be similar. IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED THAT YOU MANUALLY CHANGE ANY SETTINGS. That will be the first line of the file.
See here
http://lxlinux.com/#4
and here
http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201010/page07.html
You should be able to access your settings here

Code: Select all

~/.config/lxpanel/Lubuntu/panels
Since you do not have Lubuntu, that file may be Gentoo or it may be lxde.
Rex