Why do I have to open everything from CLI for it to work?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Alodar

Why do I have to open everything from CLI for it to work?

Post by Alodar »

I just recently installed 14.04. Going through the install, I installed lubuntu minimal install. Being new to Linux, I wanted a desktop i could lark around in while I learned CLI things better.

I decided to open pcmanfm and move some folders and change some permissions. Nope, can't do it. I decided to install gnome-commander in order to connect to a friends server and download some files. Nope, can'd do it. Nothing really runs unless I open a CLI and the sudo open the application. Why is that? Did I install weird?
Rex Bouwense

Re: Why do I have to open everything from CLI for it to work

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. You did a minimal install. It contains roughly 40 Mbs while the full install contains roughly 700 Mbs. You have to install all of the applications. I would recommend that you download and install the full install or you could install what you want. However, since you are new to Linux and are probably not sure what you want or need that might not have been the best idea. You will plenty of time and opportunity to get used to the terminal (Command Line).
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

Alodar, having to open every application with sudo is not good and it's also a sign for a seriously misconfigured system.

basically, i, too, suggest you just install the normal lubuntu and start using the command line from there.

or, you have to provide us with much more info (see my sig).
Alodar

Post by Alodar »

Crap. I was afraid of that, but (probably naïvely) figured I could just muddle through.

Is it ok to just install a full version from where I'm at already, or is that really just compounding on my existing problem? I don't have an issue wiping and starting again, but obviously it's easier not to.

I am (was) installing on an older amd64 system that used to have windows home server on it, so I was trying to go for the minimalist approach with just samba and deluge and a small raid array, but I've run into issues left and right, so I figured I'd best ask about the first/root cause I could think before exacerbating it further.

I used a USB stick with unetbootin and the ISO I downloaded for 14.04 to do the install. Perhaps that's the start of my issue? A lot of forums I've read seemed to denigrate it, but it worked alright for me.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

You do not have to wipe anything. Back up any data that you want to save. If you have already downloaded the ISO, check the md5sum, and go a head and use a flash drive. Once you boot from the flash drive you will be asked what do you want to do. If you want to install it then choose install. You will be asked a few questions and then you can sit back and let the installer do the work while you have a cup of coffee. The installer will format the whole drive, set up the swap space, and install the OS. If you are not ready to install it you can check it out running the OS from RAM just to make sure that everything is working and then install it while you are drinking your second cup. Questions or problems, check back here and someone will assist.
Rex
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Alodar wrote:A lot of forums I've read seemed to denigrate it, but it worked alright for me.
Keep using that stick! ;) Usually, the people grumbling about it didn't do it right. I just did an install from stick this morning, no problems.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

+1 Bob E.
Rex
Alodar

Post by Alodar »

Thanks, I'll do that I think. I was installing the server version, is that going to make a difference? ie should I install the desktop version instead? I hought I installed it correctly the first time around, putting in the username it asked me for and choosing samba and lubuntu as my choices for install, but I'm afraid of having the same thing happen, where everything seems to be owned by root
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Alodar wrote:I was installing the server version, is that going to make a difference? ie should I install the desktop version instead?
I would say start over from scratch, and just install the Lubuntu desktop by itself. Once you get it installed, there will be some cli, but not much. Afterward, you will be able to run just about everything without the terminal. But keep in mind, the terminal is a very useful tool.

If you are just now learning, the Lubuntu desktop is the way to go. It is light and simple and after you get everything set the way you want, daily use will be a snap.

And remember, as a new user to Linux, you will have many questions, so don't hesitate to come back here and ask for help.
drooly

Post by drooly »

Alodar wrote:Thanks, I'll do that I think. I was installing the server version, is that going to make a difference? ie should I install the desktop version instead? I hought I installed it correctly the first time around, putting in the username it asked me for and choosing samba and lubuntu as my choices for install, but I'm afraid of having the same thing happen, where everything seems to be owned by root
Alodar, are you installing onto some dedicated server hardware?
with the intention to set up some sort of server with samba capabilities?
that is way different than installing a normal desktop version of linux.
you must do some reading and decisionmaking beforehand and work "with textbook in hand" (usually a second computer to read from).
unfortunately i cannot give specific tips for that sort of scenario.