Applications not available to add to launch bar 2nd edition

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
AlanWalker

Applications not available to add to launch bar 2nd edition

Post by AlanWalker »

On a fresh install of Debian 8.4 (Jessie) LXDE I find that the LXDE menu system does not contain a link to a program (gnome-terminal, installed via Synaptic) in any of its menu folders.

Its executable is in /usr/bin, and it properly executes.

It installed to LXDE correctly in Debian 7.5 (LXDE 4).

I've seen this behavior in at least 2 other instances on Jessie LXDE in the course of 2 or so weeks (multiple installs of Debian): one with Truecrypt (I don't remember the other).

Truecrypt was installed via its particular mechanism. On Debian 7.5 LXDE (LXDE 4?) its menu item correctly appeared but not in Debian 8.4's LXDE.

Edit hours later:

Here's what I've learned so far.

A. LXDE builds its menu every time a user logs on.
B. It does so by scanning 3 directories(1), presumably in descending order of generality, for *.desktop files.
C. Each desktop file is associated with a program and it controls where, or even if, the program associated with that desktop file appears in LXDE's menu.
D. Editing a program's 'desktop' file alters how LXDE builds its menu entry for that program.
E. Each program's 'desktop' file consists of a number of lines; one line will begin with "Catagories=..."; notice (4) below shows the "Categories" for 'gnome-terminal' in gnome-terminal.desktop.
F. That line controls where in LXDE's menu the program associated with the 'desktop' file appears; if the menu template LXDE is using to construct the menu doesn't have a category that the 'desktop' file says its program should be associated with that program will not be included in the generated menu.
G. Notice the last line in (4) says "OnlyShowIn=GNOME;". If that particular line exists in a program's 'desktop' file that program will not be built into LXDE's menu even if every other line indicates it could be.
H. (2) below points to a page that provides an over-view, (3) below points to a page that contains specifications.

1. /usr/share/applications, /usr/local/share/applications, and ~/.local/share/applications
2. http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Main_Menu
3. https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... c-1.0.html

4. The last 3 lines in my (previous) gnome-terminal.desktop file:

Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;TerminalEmulator;
StartupNotify=true
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;