Application windows take up part of screen

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
edward

Application windows take up part of screen

Post by edward »

I have LXDE installed on Fedora 23. The monitor on one desktop is a wide-screen Samsung monitor. Although the LXDE desktop itself displays perfectly, once I launch an application (web browser, e-mail, etc.), the window only fills up the upper 2/3rds of the screen and this is with the window fully maximized. On standard monitors, everything displays perfectly.

On the system with the wide-screen, is there a setting I should look at to try to fix this?

Thank you in advance.
Debian Sid - LXDE
Rex Bouwense

Re: Application windows take up part of screen

Post by Rex Bouwense »

This is embarrassing. I did do some research here but could find nothing that fits your problem. Have you attempted to manually enlarge the application window to see if it would have a memory? The display setting is probably set correctly because the screen fills the monitor. This is weird. Check it anyway. Should be 16:9 and not the traditional 4:3. I am not sure where that is in Fedora but you could look in Display or monitors. If you find a solution please let us know.
Rex
edward

Post by edward »

Thanks for the reply, Rex.

Not sure what happened... :?

I removed LXDE from the desktop this was occurring on, had some difficulty re-installing it as a package libfm-gtk-utils unexpectedly obsoleted lxshortcut (although the lxshortcut command works perfectly). But after LXDE was re-installed, upon launching Firefox and other apps, they now take up the entire screen (except for the task bar at the bottom).

It seems to be OK now.
Debian Sid - LXDE
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

That sounds like you got a corrupted package somehow. Glad that it worked out. I have never used a wide screen so I was at a loss and had to do some research but as I said found nothing.
Rex
edward

Post by edward »

This Samsung monitor is the first wide-screen monitor I've had. At the time I purchased it, wide-screen were the only monitors the local Sam's Club had. I wanted a standard monitor (and an LG), but no one had them. :(
Debian Sid - LXDE