Mute key works but not volume key.

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
smrz3

Mute key works but not volume key.

Post by smrz3 »

When I first installed lxde, the mute and volume keys were not working so I followed the instructions in LXDE:Questions (http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXDE:Questions# ... ns_work.3F), which suggest adding keyboard bindings to ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml.

The mute key now works but the volume keys don't.

I'd appreciate suggestion any ideas on how to fix this. FYI all keys work with other desktops (mate, gnome, etc.) I'm running lxde-common 0.99.1-2 on arch linux.

thanks
Rex Bouwense

Re: Mute key works but not volume key.

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the lxde forum. That site that you quoted is the only help that I could have given you. Are you using Pulse Audio or Alsa?
Rex
theleftbody

Post by theleftbody »

I think getting to grips with xbindkeys (installing xbindkeys and xbindkeys-config) is the ideal thing in this situation. I have this with both my Lubuntu 14.04 setups and with its gui it beats learning the form of the config files.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Ha. Oh I agree but I just cut and paste when I have to or use a guide that hopefully I can find on a wiki page.

I am sure that you have already discovered that the Arch forum has one of the best lxde questions and answers around. Many distros do not have separate sections or will not treat lxde questions as serious. Hence the need for a forum like this. About a year a go the forum moved to a new server but the process was very painful and we lost many of our regular members and contributors because the forum was down for well over a month. They are starting to come back slowly. I am the only moderator left who regularly visits and some of our lxde experts have drifted away never to be seen again.
Last edited by Rex Bouwense on Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: additional information
Rex
HighFive

Post by HighFive »

I had this problem just yesterday after I reinstalled Lubuntu 16.04 on my Lenovo X140e. Rather than playing around with the lxde-rc.xml file, I found that after I installed the "xfce4-volumed" package the volume up/down (Fn+F2 & Fn+F1) and the Mute key (Fn+Esc) worked, after a Log out/in. I think I had already installed the PulseAudio Volume Control.
Lenovo X140e, Lubuntu 16.04 64bit