Can LXDE save size/position of shell/ternimal windows?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
rjflory

Can LXDE save size/position of shell/ternimal windows?

Post by rjflory »

Hi- Hopefully a simple question.

I just need LXDE to retain the size/position of open shell/"terminal" windows between sessions. Most window managers have a "save settings on exit", but I have not found it yet.

I tend to open a LOT of shells, and would like them to be in the same place when I restart the window manager.

ron
Rex Bouwense

Re: Can LXDE save size/position of shell/ternimal windows?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I am not 100% sure but I do not believe that what you want to do can be done with the LXTerminal. One of the prices that you pay when you choose to use LXDE is it does not have all the bells and whistles.
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

there is no save session feature as such, but it is possible to autostart a terminal at a given size & position each time you log in.
would that be sufficient?
rjflory

Post by rjflory »

drooly wrote:there is no save session feature as such, but it is possible to autostart a terminal at a given size & position each time you log in.
would that be sufficient?
Yes. The ability to 'script' this would be fine- Would it be possible to specify a list of shell positions on several workspaces?
drooly

Post by drooly »

rjflory wrote:The ability to 'script' this would be fine- Would it be possible to specify a list of shell positions on several workspaces?
1) lxde has a gui for adding commands to autostart
2) for your demands, you'd need to write a custom script, most probably involving wmctrl.
pauldmallett

Post by pauldmallett »

Hi, This is a problem I have looked at from time to time but do not have the understanding to fully solve. I have part of the answer which sadly can not credit to the original source. This will control primary window size but does not fully control subsequent tabs so I to would be interested in a definitive answer, here is what I have.
An edit to the desktop file which patially works.............................
sudo nano /home/borg/.local/share/applications/lxterminal.desktop
EDIT
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=LXTerminal
GenericName=Terminal
Comment=Use the command line
TryExec=lxterminal
Exec=lxterminal --geometry=119x13
Icon=lxterminal
Type=Application
Categories=GTK;Utility;TerminalEmulator;

Additional Notes which I have not used:
Re: How to set LXTerminal default size?
@_vov_ I had the same thing where it worked in the Menu, but not the "Application Launch Bar."
I had to go into the settings for the launch bar and delete and re-add "lxterminal" for the launcher
to pick up the settings. To run it from another terminal, you'll always have to call it as
lxterminal --geometry=119x13
If you'd like, you could add an alias to your .bashrc (or wherever else you liek to set custom aliases.) Something like:
alias lxterminal='lxterminal --geometry=119x13'
Finally, to configure the shortcut (default Ctrl+Alt+T) you'd modify ~/.config/openbox/lubuntu-rc.xml instead]
and change
HTML Code:
<command>lxterminal</command>
to
HTML Code:
<command>lxterminal --geometry=80x25</command>
Lenovo T520
O/S History Win 3.11,OS2,95,98,2000,SUSE,Vista,Win7,U/Xu/Lu_buntu,Debian8 LXDE
drooly

Post by drooly »

pauldmallett wrote:This will control primary window size but does not fully control subsequent tabs
are you saying the lxterminal window resizes itself when you open a new tab in it???
drooly

Post by drooly »

drooly wrote:1) lxde has a gui for adding commands to autostart
2) for your demands, you'd need to write a custom script, most probably involving wmctrl.
i forgot a third point:
openbox' application settings.
if each terminal window gets a distinct title, they can each be assigned a particular desktop & size!
please see first this: http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Configuration
and then this: http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Applications
pauldmallett

Post by pauldmallett »

drooly wrote:
pauldmallett wrote:This will control primary window size but does not fully control subsequent tabs
are you saying the lxterminal window resizes itself when you open a new tab in it???
Yes! When using the method I described the first window resizes to the dimensions entered in the desktop file but any new tabs keep the horizontal dimension but increase the vertical one. When I have the time I will follow up your links and see if we can't come up with a better solution, thanks for them.
Lenovo T520
O/S History Win 3.11,OS2,95,98,2000,SUSE,Vista,Win7,U/Xu/Lu_buntu,Debian8 LXDE