Can LXDE save size/position of shell/ternimal windows?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
drooly

Re: Can LXDE save size/position of shell/ternimal windows?

Post by drooly »

pauldmallett wrote:When using the method I described the first window resizes to the dimensions entered in the desktop file but any new tabs keep the horizontal dimension but increase the vertical one.
you're right!
and here's the solution:
http://ulyssesonline.com/2011/04/06/cha ... in-ubuntu/
just tried it with lxterminal, it works.
it might not persist during upgrades, though, and it might have other unforseen consequences. the 80 columns X 24 lines is almost a magic number, part of ancient history. who knows what changing that might imply. nothing dangerous to your system, just some things looking weird. keep that in mind.

you could always use a different terminal emulator that allows for overriding this setting, e.g. urxvt.
pauldmallett

Post by pauldmallett »

drooly wrote:
pauldmallett wrote:When using the method I described the first window resizes to the dimensions entered in the desktop file but any new tabs keep the horizontal dimension but increase the vertical one.
you're right!
and here's the solution:
http://ulyssesonline.com/2011/04/06/cha ... in-ubuntu/
just tried it with lxterminal, it works.

Not sure how you have managed to apply this to LXTerminal but it certainly works for Xfce Terminal on Debian 8 with LXDE Desktop. I have changed my default to Xfce Terminal which feels like a sell out but it will be less irritating. Next, how do we control position? Thanks for that, these little things prey on one after a while.
Lenovo T520
O/S History Win 3.11,OS2,95,98,2000,SUSE,Vista,Win7,U/Xu/Lu_buntu,Debian8 LXDE
drooly

Post by drooly »

pauldmallett wrote:Not sure how you have managed to apply this to LXTerminal but it certainly works for Xfce Terminal on Debian 8 with LXDE Desktop. I have changed my default to Xfce Terminal which feels like a sell out but it will be less irritating.
there's no reason why this shouldn't work on lxterminal, i tried it on debian stable with lxde. on lxterminal.
???
Next, how do we control position? Thanks for that, these little things prey on one after a while.
i already pointed out a few other things in my previous posts.
please refer to those, try a few things and come back if you need more help.
pauldmallett

Post by pauldmallett »

Well I have had a jolly time editing ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml and I have put the terminal window exactly where I want it however sizing the window does not seem to work by this method I suspect the /usr/local/sbin/lxterminal file has to be edited but for the moment I have restored my old edit to the desktop file. So far so good, I still have a problem with the new tabs reverting to a different size and as yet I have found no solution to the problem. I will display the edit I have added to the xml file in case it helps some one else or reveals a problem.
[code#EDIT POSITION LXTERMINAL WINDOW

#_OB_APP_TYPE(UTF8_STRING) = "normal"
#_OB_APP_TITLE(UTF8_STRING) = "LXTerminal"
#_OB_APP_GROUP_CLASS(UTF8_STRING) = "Lxterminal"
#_OB_APP_GROUP_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "lxterminal"
#_OB_APP_CLASS(UTF8_STRING) = "Lxterminal"#_OB_APP_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "lxterminal"
#_OB_APP_ROLE(UTF8_STRING) =

<application name="lxterminal" class="Lxterminal" >
<position force="yes">
<x>center</x>
<y>105</y>
<size force="yes">
<width>100%</width>
<height>10%</height>

</size>
</position>
</application>

#EDIT END