Issues with wine program GUI

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
User097

Issues with wine program GUI

Post by User097 »

Hey everyone,

I have installed wine and a couple simple programs such as Notepad++. the issue I am having is when the program runs everything works but it fails to "update" the window. for example in a document I will scroll down but nothing moves. if I move the window itself the image refreshes and it shows that it has moved. I have this problem in all programs I have installed using wine(this also happens when running the wine config).

I am running fedora 24 and installed LXDE. if I start up and use the Gnome desktop this problem disappears.(problem seems to be linked to LXDE I could be wrong) I have gone through and installed everything that is recommend to be able to run 32/64 bit programs for wine. I am using wine-1.9.20 (Staging). if there is other information that is needed or would help let me know(I am new to posting on forums).

I should note that this problem did disappear for a time and I have no idea why or why it came back.

Cheerfully,
User097
Rex Bouwense

Re: Issues with wine program GUI

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forums. I am not sure why you need to install Wine when there are so many FOSS applications in existence that are probably in the Fedora repositories that do the same job and in most cases better. It would help if you provide a list of programs that are "acting up". You are aware that not all programs will run under Wine flawlessly. Some require a bit of tweaking and some will not run at all. Plus I believe Wine 1.9 is still in testing. For Wine bugs in Fedora I would go to https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/wine/bugs
Rex
User097

Post by User097 »

I am aware that programs are not guaranteed to work with wine and many need tweaking. I have gotten this program to run on my old system so I know it can work. the programs that have shown this issue are notepad++, Wine Configuration, and LTspice.

I agree that there are many good FOSS applications but not in all areas of study.
drooly

Post by drooly »

you definitely do not need notepad++ on any linux system; your just making things harder for yourself.
there's plenty of alternatives for a code/text editor. i like geany.

that said, you should find out why this happens (and why it doesn't happen with gnome - on the same machine?).
however, this question is much more suited for the fedora forums.

you do know that fedora is a so-called bleeding-edge distro?
Bleeding Edge Distribution is a distribution developed by technologies incorporating those so new that they could have a high risk of being unreliable. No matter how much we want to use these distributions, they will always have stability issues.