Virtualbox Driver

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
teak

Virtualbox Driver

Post by teak »

I am trying to run Virtualbox. It says, It says modprobe vboxdr driver kernel not installed. This happens when I try to run anything on it. I tried the synaptic download manager. Rebooting, you name it. How do I get this driver?
drooly

Re: Virtualbox Driver

Post by drooly »

teak wrote:I am trying to run Virtualbox. It says, It says modprobe vboxdr driver kernel not installed. This happens when I try to run anything on it. I tried the synaptic download manager. Rebooting, you name it. How do I get this driver?
1) this has NOTHING to do with the LXDE desktop environment.
2) it is the single most asked for problem when starting to use virtualbox. a simple web search will yield literally thousands of relevant & helpful results.
3) if you had followed the documentation during install, this wouldn't have happened at all: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation
4) if you still have a problem (other than my rudeness, which, believe me, is justified) after reading this & acting upon it, you still haven't provided even the most basic information about your setup. liek which distro you're using, exact error messages and such.
teak

Post by teak »

I don't get the rudeness part, but some people are very reactionary. I thought downloading from the software manager would be enough. Thanks for the reply. Next time be aware of your own rudeness none the less. No one said it had anything to do with the desktop. Are you thinking of someone else? Actually there are not thousands of useful results. I spent too much time seeking solutions, if there where I would have found them. I find 95% of the vidoes and instructions are either confusing or don't work. You have to learn people turn to these forums because they tried nthis before as a last result.. I am 1000% saticified with LXLE. :roll:
drooly

Post by drooly »

teak wrote:No one said it had anything to do with the desktop.
this forum is specifically for the LXDE Desktop environment, and problems with it.
there's some leeway, but virtualbox questions definitely are outside the scope.

Actually there are not thousands of useful results.
yes there are.
LXLE.
based on ubuntu, afaik.
http://lxle.net/forums/extrapage
teak

Post by teak »

No there isn't. I find some computers to be resistant to some software. I worked with many each computer has a different thing going, either hardware or software issues.
I build my own computers nw, I find the ones one builds on their own are more flexible.
teak

Post by teak »

It’s a funny thing: People are sometimes afraid to ask questions out of fear of seeming “stupid.” And yet the smartest people on the planet are often the ones who ask the most questions. Case in point: Albert Einstein. Nothing worse than egocentric replies.
drooly

Post by drooly »

drooly wrote:this forum is specifically for the LXDE Desktop environment, and problems with it.
there's some leeway, but virtualbox questions definitely are outside the scope.
i need to apologize for this particular remark; it's not like this forum is drowning in posts, so anything is welcome really.
and i can see how "LXLE" and "LXDE" might seem to be related.

anyhow, since you insist on having a unique help request...

do you see an error code exactly as in this op: https://askubuntu.com/questions/41118/v ... -installed ?
so that would be rc=-1908 ?
and a text very similar?

since that post is quite old and some things won't work anymore, i think (and i remember doing it on my system) you need this answer.

maybe even better to try this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/498900/ ... ed-rc-1908 - or a combination of both solutions.