LXDE Network Manager Doesn't Work; Installed Wicd

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
coder25

LXDE Network Manager Doesn't Work; Installed Wicd

Post by coder25 »

Running LXDE on Kubuntu 16.04 (upgraded by Muon Discover from Kubuntu 14.04 with LXDE already installed)

Have "Network Status Monitor" on the panel, but it doesn't show much: "Name: Io" / "Status: Idle".

So I installed Wicd Network Manger, which appears in the "Internet" menu and seems to work.

??
drooly

Re: LXDE Network Manager Doesn't Work; Installed Wicd

Post by drooly »

like i already said, there's a lot of non-standard stuff happening here.

- what's muon discover
- dist-upgrades on ubuntu are error prone
- esp. if you use a different DE

afaik lxde/lubuntu doesn't even use networkmanager as such, or some reduced version...

all in all, be glad the dist-upgrade left you with a bootable system and you still have internet connectivity.

wicd is a good application and this thread might well be a recommendation for other users having problems with networkmangler.
coder25

Post by coder25 »

Muon Discover is the package manager included with Kubuntu and the standard Plasma desktop. Plasma is OK, but is a slow resource hog on a PC with 2GB of RAM. Hence I installed LXDE, then XFCE.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Occasionally when you have multiple desktop environments installed they do not play well together. If you wanted LXDE your best bet was to do a fresh install. Since you have a working OS and you appear to be happy with it....
Rex