which version of lxde?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
oui

which version of lxde?

Post by oui »

Hi

I am in Ubuntu 17.04.
Installed are both Kubuntu and Lubuntu (as well as divers other Window Managers like enlightenment, blackbox etc.)

Ubuntu did not install only Lubuntu, as well as a second special version of Lubuntu, but also LXDE.

a/ what is the difference between LXDE and Lubuntu?
b/ how to recognize after the sessions start which one I am using now

(I suppose I am in LXDE now. But how to be certain...)

Kind regards
Rex Bouwense

Re: which version of lxde?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

LXDE is merely a desk top environment (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment). When you installed Lubuntu you were actually installing the Ubuntu core and the LXDE. As you are probably already aware Lubuntu uses many different programs than Ubuntu and is quite a bit less resource intensive. It was designed to run on older and slower machines but fairly flys on new ones. There is no other operating system that is installed when you install Lubuntu. You may read about LXDE on it's wiki page https://wiki.lxde.org/en/Main_Page I am still using Lubuntu 16.04 which is a LTS which is supported until April 2019. The version that you installed is still in development and is not due to be released until April of this year.

When you say that you installed Kubuntu and Lubuntu, I am assuming that you have installed Ubuntu and the desktop environments of KDE and LXDE so you can choose which desktop environment that you want when you login. PCManFM is the file manager for LXDE. The current version of LXDE is 0.99.2 I believe. If you want Lubuntu I would recommend that you install version 16.04.1 which has been out for a while and the bugs have been worked out
Last edited by Rex Bouwense on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Additional information
Rex
oui

Re: which version of lxde?

Post by oui »

After reading your message, I did install LXQT and it seems to be (a lot) better...
As I install a great number of QT app s (QtEmu, Rosegarden, Marble, KDE-Version, Merkaartor, etc.), it is also from this point of view a good option also in the future as the compatibility problems between the divers Gnome version are an enormous disadvantage.

Thank you for your message!

(My experience with the stable and long time LTS 16.04 from Ubuntu is absolutely not the best! I am using a DELL Laptop and all Kubuntu screens become dark because the cursor let ugly traces on it so terrible many that you can not see some entry fields any more after a short time! 17.04 is the first version without that problem! I have yet 16.04 on an other partition but I find now, it would be possible to erase it: 17.04 works very good excepted only one detail: characters commands like

Code: Select all

setxkbmap us intl
don t work under KDE, and, it is new after an actualisation in the last days, the apostrophe sign did disappear in other environment as KDE, as LXDE. LXQT also, JWM, Enlightenment etc.)