how to start lxde

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Skaperen

how to start lxde

Post by Skaperen »

i have the x server running. xterm is running with an undecorated window. bash is running and starts with the current directory in /. i can type in commands and they work. i can change to the user home directory. now how do i start lxde?
Rex Bouwense

Re: how to start lxde

Post by Rex Bouwense »

LXDE is a desktop environment and is installed when you installed your distro or later to change the default desktop environment that you originally downloaded and installed. What distro did you install? Doesn't

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/lxdm start
start LXDE?
Rex
Skaperen

Post by Skaperen »

Rex Bouwense wrote:LXDE is a desktop environment and is installed when you installed your distro or later to change the default desktop environment that you originally downloaded and installed. What distro did you install? Doesn't

/etc/init.d/lxdm start
start LXDE?
i am trying to run it under Xtightvnc, under a non-root user, on Ubuntu. i want to run as many instances as my memory can handle, i want to later run many instances in the cloud.
oui

Post by oui »

You will probably in Ubuntu in /usr/share/xsessions an item named lxde.desktop

hitting on it with left mouse key you normally can accede to lxde immediately

lx.. are each an extension to an other display manager (on Ubuntu, the dependencies install openbox, on Debian9.0, the dependencies install actually, it can be changed in the future. flwm.desktop)

as I use and love JWM, I did install jwm (in Debian, both, Debian9.0 64 bit, and Kubuntu/Lubuntu 17.04 64 bit minimal with LXQT are full installed on my PC, I have now 3 items in /usr/share/xsessions: flwm.desktop, jwm.desktop, lxqt.desktop.

lxqt.desktop uses one of both others depending what is written in ~/.config/lxqt/session.conf in line #4 window_manager (the short name is enough, don't write ".desktop"

as JWM is a VERY POWERFULL window manager (it can use the Debian «menu», I always also add the «xfce4-appfinder» as well as «grun». But it don't need some external app to show some background picture, it is directly included in JWM, it can build and manage a very variable hidden or not tray, manage icons ans keys definitions, and has a subdivision «StartupCommand» where you can add easily some starting up performances, for ex. change the keyboard, or start an or more applications, I can add "easily" (as I am very accustomed to do that!) some figures to LXQT). The most important figure for me is the command text to manage the content of my Mozilla :mrgreen: as I can not avoid Mozilla (I would like to avoid Mozilla, the spying software and the software devoted to both Google and Adobe. But Mozilla is, in 64 bit, don't forget the 64 bit, the only one web browser don't bugging actually in those test versions (Debian9.0RC / Ubuntu 17.04RC) because I REALLY use following performances:

- Spell check (not present in Qupzilla, for ex. as Deb/Ubu have the old version less than release 2.xx)
- extremely exigent video connection (try it http://france2.fr/jt/20h with a small browser able to check spell at writing time, and you will immediately understand: to see youtube is not enough for me! Actually we have elections in my two countries France and Germany, and I NEED to see the official news given at the public TV's... Youtube doesn't check very hard the release of the used plugins, France Télévisions does it (as France will be the leader of defense of brands, labels, deposed marks, no doping in sport etc... Hopeless that the «doping in in politic», the corruption or bad use of public money :oops: is as great in this country willing give lessons to the rest of the World :x !)
- full window use (a lot of browser limit the size of the usable part of the window with idiotic bars, marges, own labels and signs, etc. I can turn off each bar separately with each only hit, and reappearing also so, in Seamonkey Mozilla build! And it is very important in all geographic and artistic graphic applications: Openstreetmap etc. You can often zoom a level more and! And what? And now, you can read all until now hidden names of the streets :lol: !). Xombrero offers about the same performance until this point, but, actually, it doesn't work properly on webkit 3.0 (in the old webkit versions it did do all what I wish excepted Html edition!).

now, 2 opposite performances:
- xombrero would give high security and discretion
- Mozilla build of Seamonkey gives the really only one well working WYSYG Html-Editor (as Kompozer-"alone" is not installable any more, amaya is not developed since years and Blue-Griffon is absolutely not equivalent, for me, accustomed with Kompozer, for Kompozer

I can choice: Seamonkey or Xombrero!

Mozilla is dangerous: After first start, I enter some user names from me and some passwords being in my opinion uncritical, and save a full copy (full is important! Best way is cp , option -a !) of ~/.mozilla in my private directory ~/my/.mysettings and JWM give me the possibility to restart daily only with those uncritical set of memorized user names and passwords as well as some url's in the history.

And all the other informations are radically erased :idea: :

My StartupCommands for JWM in ~/.jwmrc (or in /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc if you will use /etc/jwm/debian-menu, or your own mixture for that) do that! Here is the text of my very short .jwmrc as actually used:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<JWM>
    <!-- Tray at the high left corner. -->
        <Tray x="0" y="-1" height="25" autohide="top" valign="top">
        <TrayButton label="JWM">root:1</TrayButton>
        <TrayButton popup="run" icon="grun.xpm">exec:grun</TrayButton>
        </Tray>
    <StartupCommand>
        <!-- xli -onroot -fillscreen /home/f/.images/default.jpeg &
        setxkbmap us intl
        skype-->
        cd ~/
        rm -rf ~/.mozilla
        cp -a ~/my/.mysettings/.mozilla ~/
    </StartupCommand>
</JWM>
And the answer to your question? How to start?

I start with sddm ! There are to way:

a/ the normal way - you will find in the graphic login screen an each icon to change user, locales (it can be important in families like mine where different languages are mother tongue) and window manager. If you did install lx.. normally:

sudo apt install lxqt sddm
lxde or lxqt or both are registered in the list of the offered window manager (*1. select one, sddm will memory you choice for the next start!

you can also decide an automatic start without login:

See at my /etc/sddm.conf (it can not be in ~/ because more than one user can eventually have access to the PC! It is an central setting in /etc!!! But you don't know now how to take in consideration more than one user in the next file. It is probably not possible as I did define AutoUser)

[Autologin]
Relogin=false
Session=lxqt.desktop
User=ENTER YOUR USER  NAME HERE!

[General]
AutoRelogin=true
AutoUser=ENTER YOUR USER  NAME HERE!
CursorTheme=
HaltCommand=/usr
(* ratpoison, one of the most common mouseless Window Manager (there are also other ones) is not registered in /usr/share/xsessions and you have to create a ratpoison.destop file if you want to add it :idea: . After that, he appears willing. Or you can hitting on the /usr/share/xsessions/ratpoison commute easily after start of an other window manager to ratpoison if some figures of it are now important for you :idea:

I can't write a good wiki page about this matter as I never did learn English :lol: ! Perhaps can some one other do it and use above informations (and check if they are all right in other versions of Debian / Ubuntu or other distributions :roll: )

Thread starter please: I don't use LXDE at all (only LXQT ...) - I consider it is the same concerning above details... It don't MUST be right :cry:
Perhaps you can be so friendly and add "lxqt" in your Subject of thread?